Some aspects of medical hermeneutics: The role of dialectic and narrative
- 114 Downloads
This essay constructs an argument for a dialectic between the scientific and clinical aspects of medicine using the hermeneutical approach of Paul Ricoeur as a theoretical and philosophical guide. Additionally, the relationship between this dialectic and narrative case histories is examined as a way of expressing this abstract and theoretical concept in more concrete terms.
Key wordsdialectics hermeneutics language and medicine medicine and philosophy narrative
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Heidegger M. Being and Time. New York: Harper and Row, 1962.Google Scholar
- 2.Ricoeur P. The Conflict of Interpretations: Essays in Hermeneutics. Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Press, 1974.Google Scholar
- 3.Heidegger M. Poetry, Language, Thought. New York: Harper and Row, 1971.Google Scholar
- 4.Ricoeur P. Freud and Philosophy. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1970.Google Scholar
- 5.Seldin D. The medical model: biomedical science as the basis of medicine. In: Jordan H, ed. Beyond Tomorrow: Trends and Prospects in Medical Science. New York: Rockefeller University Press, 1977.Google Scholar
- 6.Siegler M. The doctor-patient encounter and its relationship to theories of health and disease. In: Caplan AL, Engelhardt HT Jr, McCartney JJ, eds. Concepts of Health and Disease: Interdisciplinary Perspectives. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Publishing Co, 1981: 627–44.Google Scholar
- 7.Ricoeur P. Explanation and understanding: some remarkable connections among the theory of the text, theory of action, and theory of history. In: Reagan CE, Stewart D, eds. The Philosophy of Paul Ricoeur: An Anthology of His Works. Boston: Beacon Press, 1978: 149–66.Google Scholar
- 8.Ricoeur P. The narrative function. Semeia 1978: 13: 177–202.Google Scholar
- 9.Mink L.O. History and fiction as modes of comprehension. In: Cohen R, ed. New Directions in Literary History. Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 1974: 107–24.Google Scholar