Macroporous thin films for planar chromatography
- 62 Downloads
A procedure for the preparation of macroporous silica films suitable for planar chromatography is described. The films are produced by a low pH catalyses of alkyltrialkoxysilanes in oversaturated solution of pore forming organic compounds. A segregated three phase system yields thick films (10–60 µm) that have good adhesion to silica glass supports, uniform, mirror like surface and intercalated micron-dimension pores that permit capillarity driven elution of solvents through the film. A phase diagram demonstrating optimal operating conditions for macroporous and microporous film formation is introduced and analyzed.
Keywordspores chromatography macroporous silica films
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stahl, E., Thin Layer Chromatography 2nd ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1969).Google Scholar
- 2.Brinker, C.J. and Scherer, G.W., Sol-Gel Science: The Physics and Chemistry of Sol-Gel Processing Academic Press, San Diego, 1990.Google Scholar
- 3.Schmidt, H., Rinn, G., Ness, R., and Sporn, D., in Better Ceramics Through Chemistry III edited by C.J. Brinker, D.E. Clark, and D.R. Ulrich (Mat. Res. Soc. Pittsburgh, Pa., 1988), p. 743.Google Scholar
- 4.Nakanishi, K. and Soga, N., J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 139, 1 (1992) and references therein.Google Scholar
- 5.Hench, L.L., in Science of Chemical Processing edited by L.L. Hench and D.R. Ulrich (Wiley, N.Y., 1986), p. 52.Google Scholar
- 6.Iosefson-Kuyavskaya, B., Gigozin, I., Ottolenghi, M., Avnir, D., and Lev, O., J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 147 & 148, 808 (1992).Google Scholar
- 7.Lev. O., Analysis, 20, 543 (1992).Google Scholar
- 8.Yissumm, LTD, USA, Patent application, No. 08/430, 789.Google Scholar