Gene-dependent flavonoid glucosyltransferase in maize
- 76 Downloads
A direct relationship between a specific gene and a specific enzyme involved in flavonoid biosynthesis is reported for the gene Bz and uridine diphosphoglucose: quercetin glucosyltransferase in maize pollen, seedlings, and seeds. Ratios are presented for specific activities of the glucosyltransferase from pollen, seed, and seedling tissues homozygous and heterozygous for Bz and homozygous for bz.
Key wordsflavonoid biosynthesis UDPG quercetin glucosyltransferase maize pollen gene quercetin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coe, E. H., Jr., and Neuffer, M. G. (1977). In Sprague, G. F. (ed.), Corn and Corn Improvement, 2nd ed., American Society of Agronomy, in press.Google Scholar
- Fox, D. W., Savage, W. L., and Wender, S. H. (1953). Hydrolysis of some flavonoid rhamnoglycosides to flavonoid glucosides. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 752504.Google Scholar
- Harborne, J. B., Mabry, T. J., and Mabry, H. (eds.) (1975). The Flavonoids I and II, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Larson, R. L. (1969). Magnesol thin-layer chromatography of flavonoid compounds. J. Chromatogr. 43287.Google Scholar
- Larson, R. L. (1971). Glucosylation of quercetin by a maize pollen enzyme. Phytochemistry 103073.Google Scholar
- Larson, R. L., and Coe, E. H., Jr. (1968). Enzymatic action of the Bz anthocyanin factor in maize. Proc. XII Int. Congr. Genet. 1131.Google Scholar
- Larson, R. L., and Lonergan, C. M. (1973). Flavonoid glucosyltransferase activity in maize. Cereals Res. Commun. (Hungary) 113.Google Scholar
- Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, N. J., Farr, A. L., and Randall, R. J. (1951). Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193265.Google Scholar
- Potty, V. H. (1969). Determination of proteins in the presence of phenols and pectins. Anal. Biochem. 29535.Google Scholar
- Rhoades, M. M. (1952). The effect of the bronze locus on anthocyanin formation in maize. Am. Naturalist 86105.Google Scholar