Cytoplasmic inheritance of chloroplast coupling factor 1 subunits
- 20 Downloads
An analysis of interspecific hybrids of Nicotiana spp. in which one of the parents was sensitive to tentoxin showed that this sensitivity was transmitted only through the female parent. Since tentoxin acts by selectively binding to the α,β subunit complex of chloroplast coupling factor 1, the gene(s) specifying either one or both of these subunits is located in the cytoplasm.
Key wordscoupling factor 1 chloroplasts maternal inheritance Nicotiana
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Durbin, R. D., and Uchytil, T. F. (1977) A survey of plant insensitivity to tentoxin. Phytopathology 67602.Google Scholar
- Eaglesham, A. R. J., and Ellis, R. J. (1974). Protein synthesis in chloroplasts. II. Light-driven synthesis of membrane proteins by isolated pea chloroplasts. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 335396.Google Scholar
- Horak, A., and Hill, R. D. (1972). Adenosine triphosphatase of bean plastids. Plant Physiol. 49365.Google Scholar
- Kung, S. D. (1976). Tobacco fraction 1 protein: A unique genetic marker. Science 191429.Google Scholar
- Mendiola-Morgenthaler, L. R., Morganthaler, J. J., and Price, C. A. (1976). Synthesis of coupling factor CF1 protein by isolated spinach chloroplasts. FEBS Lett. 6296.Google Scholar
- Nelson, N., Deters, D. W., Nelson, H., and Racker, E. (1973). Partial resolution of the enzymes catalyzing photophosphorylation. XIII. Properties of isolated subunits of coupling factor 1 from spinach chloroplasts. J. Biol. Chem. 2482049.Google Scholar
- Ohad, I. (1975). Biogenesis of chloroplast membranes. In Tzagoloff, A. (ed.), Membrane Biogenesis, Plenum, New York, pp. 279–350.Google Scholar
- Sager, R. (1972). Cytoplasmic Genes and Organelles, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Steele, J. A., Uchytil, T. F., Durbin, R. D., Bhatnagar, P., and Rich, D. H. (1976). Chloroplast factor 1: A species-specific receptor for tentoxin. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 732245.Google Scholar
- Steele, J. A., Uchytil, T. F., and Durbin, R. D. (1977). The binding of tentoxin to a tryptic digest of chloroplast coupling factor 1. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 459347.Google Scholar