Tetraalkyl-substituted 4-pyrolocyanines were synthesized and converted to pyridocyanines by reaction with methylamine. The exchange reaction proceeds particularly readily in the series of tetramethyl-substituted compounds, in which the oxygen atoms in one or both pyrylium residues can be replaced, depending on the conditions. It was established that, in contrast to the tetraphenyl-substituted compounds, among the tetramethyl-substituted compounds the symmetrical dyes (pyridinium derivatives) are more deeply colored than their oxygen-containing analogs. The reasons for this difference in the absorption spectra are analyzed thoroughly by the quantum-chemical method.
KeywordsOxygen Organic Chemistry Absorption Spectrum Pyridinium Oxygen Atom
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. I. Tolmachev, N. A. Derevyanko, and M. A. Kudinova, Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., No. 5, 617 (1975).Google Scholar
- 2.A. I. Tolmachev, N. A. Derevyanko, E. F. Karaban, and M. A. Kudinova, Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., No. 5, 612 (1975).Google Scholar
- 3.A. I. Tolmachev, L. M. Shulezhko, and M. Yu. Kornilov, Ukr. Khim. Zh., 40, 286 (1974).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Yu. Kornilov, L. M. Shulezhko, and A. I. Tolmachev, Teor. Eksp. Khim., 10, 508 (1974).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Simalty, H. Strzelecka, and H. Khedija, Tetrahedron, 27, 3503 (1971).Google Scholar
- 6.R. Sprague and L. Brooker, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 59, 2697 (1937).Google Scholar
- 7.J. Wilt, G. Reynolds, and J. Van Allan, Tetrahedron, 29, 795 (1973).Google Scholar
- 8.B. I. Stepanov and L. P. Kazachenko, Opt. Spektrosk., 12, 131 (1962).Google Scholar
- 9.G. G. Dyadyusha and A. A. Ishchenko, in: Collection of Annotations of Programs for Molecular Spectroscopy [in Russian], Novosibirsk (1977), p. 22.Google Scholar
- 10.S. Hunig, B. Garner, G. Ruider, and W. Schenk, Ann., Nos. 5/6, 1036 (1973).Google Scholar
- 11.E. D. Sych, Zh. N. Belaya, and G. G. Dyadyusha, Ukr. Khim. Zh., 30, 1065 (1964).Google Scholar
- 12.Yu. A. Kruglyak, V. S. Kvakush, G. G. Dyadyusha, and V. I. Khil'chenko, Methods for Calculations in Quantum Chemistry. Calculation of the π-Electron Structures of Molecules by Simple Molecular Orbital Methods [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1967).Google Scholar
- 13.A. Balaban and C. Nenitzescu, Ann., 625, 74 (1959).Google Scholar