Catalyzed oxidation of 2-ethyl-5-methylthiophene
2-Ethyl-5-methylthiophene was subjected to liquid-phase oxidation with molecular oxygen in glacial acetic acid in the presence of cobalt acetate and sodium bromide. The effect of the concentrations of the substance undergoing oxidation, cobalt acetate, and sodium bromide on the oxidation was investigated. The chief reaction product — 2-acetyl-5-methylthiophene — was isolated. A difference in the reactivities of 2-ethylthiophene and 2-ethyl-5-methylthiophene is demonstrated.
KeywordsOxidation Oxygen Sodium Acetate Acetic Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. V. Shchedrinskaya, P. A. Konstantinov, V. P. Litvinov, É. G. Ostapenko, I. V. Zakharov, and M. N. Volkov, Zh. Obshch. Khim., 44, 837 (1974).Google Scholar
- 2.T. V. Shchedrinskaya, V. P. Litvinov, P. A. Konstantinov, Ya. L. Gol'dfarb, and É. G. Ostapenko, Khim.Geterotsikl. Soedin., No. 8, 1026 (1973).Google Scholar
- 3.P. A. Konstantinov, T. V. Shchedrinskaya, I. V. Zakharov, and M. N. Volkov, Zh. Org. Khim., 8, 2590 (1972).Google Scholar
- 4.A. V. Ryazanova, A. V. Bondarenko, I. A. Maizlakh, and M. I. Farberov, Neftekhimiya, 6, 227 (1966).Google Scholar
- 5.N. M. Émanuél', E. T. Denisov, and Z. K. Maizus, Stepwise Oxidation Reactions of Hydrocarbons in the Liquid Phase [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1965).Google Scholar
- 6.B. V. Aivazov, S. M. Petrov, V. R. Khairullina, and V. G. Yapryntseva, Physicochemical Constants of Organic Sulfur Compound [in Russian], Khimiya, Moscow (1967).Google Scholar
- 7.P. Cagniant and P. Cagniant, Bull. Soc. Chim. France, No. 5, 713 (1952).Google Scholar
- 8.Ya. L. Gol'dfarb and Ya. L. Danyushevskii, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Otd. Khim. Nauk, No. 4, 540 (1963).Google Scholar
- 9.E. A. Hill, M. L. Gross, M. Stasiewicz, and M. Manion, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 91, 7381 (1969).Google Scholar
- 10.D. S. Noyce, C. A. Lipinski, and R. W. Nichols, J. Org. Chem., 37, 2615 (1972).Google Scholar
- 11.Ya. L. Gol'dfarb and Yu. B. Vol'kenshtein, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Otd. Khim. Nauk, No. 11, 2238 (1960).Google Scholar
- 12.S. N. Godovikova and Ya. L. Gol'dfarb, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., No. 5, 1434 (1965).Google Scholar