Growth of field-grown ash trees (Fraxinus excelsior) exposed to ozone episodes
Ash trees were exposed to ozone episodes (150 nl l−1, 8 h d−1, 24–27 d y−1) from May to October, 1992 to 1994, in open-top chambers designed to minimise microclimatic modification. Many aspects of growth were studied, including leaf abscission, leaf area, mean leaf size, tree height and girth, extension growth, cross sectional area of annual rings and above-ground dry weight. An overview of the results is presented. This shows that the duration of the leaf fall period was increased by exposure to ozone. However, three seasons of severe ozone exposure relative to UK conditions did not significantly alter other aspects of growth.
Key wordsozone episodes Fraxinus excelsior growth leaf area abscission open-top chambers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cannon W.N. (Jnr), Roberts B.R., Barger J.H.: 1993, Forest Ecology and Management, 61, 61–73.Google Scholar
- Hull S.K., Gibbs J.N.: 1991, Forestry Commission Bulletin 93, Ash Dieback — A Survey of Non-woodland Trees, London: HMSO.Google Scholar
- Matyssek R., Günthardt-Goerg, M.S., Landolt W., Keller T.: 1993, Environ Poll 81, 207–219.Google Scholar
- Pääkkönen E., Paasisalo S., Holopainen T., Käranlampi L.: 1993, New Phytol 125, 615–623.Google Scholar
- PORG: 1993, Ozone in the United Kingdom, 1993 — Third Report of the United Kingdom Photochemical Oxidants Review Group. London, Department of the Environment.Google Scholar
- Sanders G.E., Clark A.G., Colls J.J.: 1991, New Phytol 117, 439–447.Google Scholar
- Shelburne V.B., Reardon J.C., Paynter V.A.: 1993, Tree physiol 12, 163–172.Google Scholar
- Tjoelker M.G., Volin J.C., Oleksyn J., Reich P.B.: 1993, New Phytol, 124, 627–636.Google Scholar
- Wiltshire J.J.J., Wright C.J., Unsworth M.H.: 1992, Forest Ecology and Management 51, 115–120.Google Scholar
- Wiltshire J.J.J., Wright C.J., Unsworth M.H., Craigon J.: 1993, New Phytol 124, 433–437.Google Scholar
- Wiltshire J.J.J., Wright C.J., Colls J., Craigon J., Unsworth M.H.: 1995, New Phytol, paper submitted.Google Scholar