Reactions of aldehydes of the furan series
- 37 Downloads
The lability of the hydrogen atoms in the methyl group of 5-methylfurfural was proved by a reaction of the crotonic condensation type. Aldehydes, alcohols, and acids of the 1,2-di(2-furyl)ethylene series were synthesized. The optimum conditions (reagent ratio, elevated temperatures, catalysis by sodium ethoxide) that make it possible for the condensation process to prevail over side reactions were selected. The Cannizzarro reaction that accompanies condensation is the reason for the accumulation in the reaction mixture of furfuryl alcohols and furancarboxylic acids. Aldehydes of the 1,2-di-(2-furyl)ethylene series also participate in this reaction, on the basis of which it is proposed that alcohols and acids of this series be obtained by this method.
KeywordsAlcohol Catalysis Aldehyde Hydrogen Atom Furan
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. A. Gavar and Ya. P. Stradyn', Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., No. 1, 15 (1965).Google Scholar
- 2.S. V. Tsukerman, L. A. Kutulya, Yu. N. Surov, and V. F. Lavrushin, Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., No. 9, 1176 (1970).Google Scholar
- 3.P. Pascal and L. Normand, Bull. Soc. Chim. France, 9, 1059 (1911).Google Scholar
- 4.Yu. K. Yur'ev and D. Ékhard, Zh. Obshch. Khim., 31, 3536 (1961).Google Scholar
- 5.Zh. A. Krasnaya, S. S. Yufit, and V. F. Kucherov, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 173, 1095 (1967).Google Scholar
- 6.E. R. Blout and M. Fields, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 70, 189 (1948).Google Scholar
- 7.V. M. Berezovskii, The Chemistry of Vitamins [in Russian], Moscow (1973), p. 140.Google Scholar