Configuration of 2-(2-thienyl)-5-aryloxazoles in their ground and excited states
The electronic absorption and emission spectra of a series of 2-(2-thienyl)-5-aryloxazoles in solutions, vapors, and matrices (ethanol-ether, 77 K) have been studied, and the fluorescence quantum yields have been determined. The basicity constants in aqueous solutions in the ground state have been measured spectrophotometrically. The set of spectroscopic data indicate that the configuration of the 2-(2-thienyl)-5-aryloxazoles in the ground state is nearly planar and is practically independent of the temperature and the state of aggregation. Conversely, in the excited state the configuration of these molecules is generally nonplanar and depends on external factors.
KeywordsAqueous Solution Organic Chemistry Excited State Emission Spectrum Quantum Yield
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. Sh. Afanasiadi, I. N. Tur, and P. B. Kurapov, Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., No. 4, 479 (1985).Google Scholar
- 2.P. B. Kurapov, N. A. Klyuev, L. Sh. Afanasiadi, I. N. Tur, and I. I. Grandberg, Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., No. 3, 407 (1986).Google Scholar
- 3.P. B. Kurapov, N. A. Klyuev, and I. I. Grandberg, Izv. Mosk. Skh. Akad., No. 6, 184 (1986).Google Scholar
- 4.O. P. Shvaika, N. G. Korzhenevskaya, and L. P. Snagoshchenko, Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., No. 2, 193 (1985).Google Scholar
- 5.A. F. Pozharskii, Theoretical Principles of the Chemistry of Heterocycles [in Russian], Khimiya, Moscow (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.A. P. Shkumat, L. D. Patsenker, N. V. Adonina, V. K. Polyakov, and V. F. Lavrushkin, Zh. Khim. Zh., 53, No. 5, 529 (1987).Google Scholar