Synthesis of alkyl and alkenyl furyl sulfoxides and their behavior in the pummerer reaction
Oxidation of alkyl(alkenyl) furyl sulfides by hydrogen peroxide in glacial acetic acid affords alkyl(alkenyl) furyl sulfoxides, which react with acetic acid, acetic anhydride, and a mixture of acetic and trifluoroacetic anhydrides to give α-acyloxy-substituted and unsaturated sulfides as products, while for allyl 2-(5-methylfuryl) sulfoxide a thienofuran compound is obtained.
KeywordsOxidation Hydrogen Acetic Hydrogen Peroxide Sulfide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Oae, Plenary Lecture on the 8th International Symposium on Organic Sulfur Chemistry, Yugoslavia (1978), p. 290.Google Scholar
- 2.E. N. Karaulova, in: Results of Science. Vol. 2: Chemistry of Oil and Gas [in Russian], Izd. AN SSSR, Moscow (1958), p. 130.Google Scholar
- 3.J. M. Maissant, J. M. Bodroux, C. Bouchele, and M. Braschar, J. Mol. Catal., 9, 237 (1980).Google Scholar
- 4.W. E. Parham and L. Edwards, J. Org. Chem., 33, 4150 (1968).Google Scholar
- 5.R. G. Aukharieva, T. A. Danilova, A. V. Anisimov, and E. A. Viktorova, Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., No. 5, 611 (1981).Google Scholar
- 6.A. V. Anisimov, V. F. Ionova, V. S. Babaitsev, V. K. Govorek, and E. A. Viktorova, Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., No. 8, 1062 (1979).Google Scholar
- 7.Ya. L. Gol'dfarb, Ya. L. Danyushevskii, and M. A. Vinogradova, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 151, 332 (1963).Google Scholar
- 8.E. N. Karaulova, T. A. Bardina, G. D. Gal'pern, and T. S. Bobruiskaya, Neftekhim., 6, 480 (1966).Google Scholar
- 9.R. Tanikaga, Y. Yabuki, N. Ono, and A. Kaji, Tetrahedron Lett., No. 26, 2257 (1976).Google Scholar