Pure-tone hearing thresholds in otologically healthy 5-year-old children in Finland
- 34 Downloads
We measured the pure-tone air and bone conduction hearing of 359 randomly selected otologically normal urban preschool children in Finland at the average age of 5.2 years. Children with otoscopically verified middle ear pathology or abnormal impedance audiometry were not included in this sample. The mean air conduction thresholds varied from 16.6 dB at 0.125 kHz to 6.6 dB at 2 kHz, and the mean bone conduction thresholds from 6.0 dB at 0.25 kHz to 0.7 dB at 4 kHz. The pure-tone average (of air conduction thresholds at 0.5, 1 and 2 kHz) of all the ears was 7.6 dB. The distribution of single air conduction hearing thresholds at the frequencies from 0.25 kHz to 4 kHz showed that 66%–75% were at the 5–10 dB level.
Key wordsHearing thresholds Normal hearing Preschool children
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.American Standard Association (1951) American standard specification for audiometers for general diagnostic purposes. ASA, New York (Publication no. Z 24.5-1951)Google Scholar
- 2.Black ME (1939) 2-A audiometer norms for determining hypacusia in children between the ages of four and eight. J Speech Disord 4:3–14Google Scholar
- 3.Eagles EL, Wishik SM, Doerfler LG, Melnick W, Levine HS (1963) Hearing sensitivity and related factors in children. Laryngoscope 143:1–220Google Scholar
- 4.International Organization for Standardization (1984) Acoustics — threshold of hearing by air conduction as a function of age and sex for otologically normal persons. ISO, Geneva, pp 452–459 (ISO 7029–1984 [E])Google Scholar
- 5.Roberts J, Huber P (1975) Hearing levels of children by age and sex. United States National Center for Health Statistics, Washington, DC (HEW, series 11, no. 102)Google Scholar
- 6.Roche AF, Siervogel RM, Hines JH, Johnson DL (1978) Longitudinal study of hearing in children: baseline data concerning auditory thresholds, noise exposure, and biological factors. J Acoust Soc Am 64:1593–1601Google Scholar
- 7.Sipilä M, Pukander J, Karma P (1987) Incidence of acute otitis media up to the age of 1.5 years in urban infants. Acta Otolaryngol (Stockh) 104:138–145Google Scholar