Histological effect of ultrasonic irradiation in Menière's disease
- 17 Downloads
The lateral semicircular canal and the crista ampullaris from five patients previously treated with ultrasound for Menière's disease showed the following histological and ultrastructural changes:
The lateral semicircular canal was completely obliterated by dense connective and osteoid tissue.
In the subepithelial tissue in Crista ampullaris no signs of degeneration was found. The nerve fibers were normal.
Also the sensory cells with nerve-endings and supporting cells appeared normal.
In the transistional epithelium there was vacuolization and extensive swelling with protrusion of the cells into the endolymphatic space.
The secretory cells showed pronounced cellular vacuolization and increased intercellular space.
It is concluded that the massive destruction of the normal anatomy in the lateral semicircular canal may be the morphological basis of a functional endolymphatic fistula for drainage of the endolymphatic hydrops.
Key wordsMenière's disease Ultrasound irradiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Angel James, J., Freundlich, H. F., Bullen, M. A., Wells, P. N. T., Williams, D. P. C.: The physical and biological properties of ultrasound and clinical experience. Acta oto-laryng., Suppl. 178, 134 (1963)Google Scholar
- 2.Arslan, M.: Treatment of Menière's syndrome by direct application of ultrasound waves to the vestibular system. Proc. Vth. Int. Congr. Otorhinolar. Amsterdam 1953Google Scholar
- 3.Brahe Pedersen, C., Sørensen, H.: Labyrinthectomy and ultrasonic irradiation in Menière's disease. Dan. Med. Bull. 18, 66 (1971)Google Scholar
- 4.McLay, K., Flinn, M., Ormerod, F. C.: Histological changes in the inner ear resulting from the application of ultrasonic energy. J. Laryng. 75, 345 (1961)Google Scholar
- 5.House, W. F.: Cryosurgery in Menière's disease. Arch. Otolaryng. 84, 616 (1966)Google Scholar
- 6.Sjöberg, A., Stahle, J., Johnsen, S., Sahl, R.: Treatment of Menière's disease by ultrasonic irradiation. Acta oto-laryng., Suppl. 178, (1963)Google Scholar
- 7.Sørensen, H., Andersen, M. S.: Long-term results of ultrasonic irradiation in Menière's disease. Clin. Otolaryng. (in press)Google Scholar
- 8.Stahle, J.: Some effects of ultrasound on the inner ear. Acta oto-laryng., Suppl. 178, (1963)Google Scholar