Inhibition of thymidine phosphorylase in vivo provides a rapid method for switching DNA labeling
Uridine blocks the in vivo conversion of thymine to thymidine in Escherichia coli, thus, one can change DNA labels by labelling first with a thymine label (e.g. 14C) and then, at the time of the change, adding 50 μg uridine per ml and thymidine (e.g. 3H). The cells immediately start using the thymidine, ignore the thymine for several generations, and are not affected by the uridine.
KeywordsEscherichia Coli Thymidine Uridine Thymine Rapid Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bachmann, B.J., Low, K.B., Taylor, A.L.: Recalibrated linkage map of E. coli K12. Bact. Rev. 40, 116–167 (1976)Google Scholar
- Behke, R.M., Lesley, S.M.: Effect of uridine on the incorporation of thymine and thymidine in Escherichia coli. Canad. J. Microbiol. 19, 485–490 (1973)Google Scholar
- Blank, J.G., Hoffee, P.A.: Purification and properties of thymidine phosphorylase from Salmonella typhimurium. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 168, 259–265 (1975)Google Scholar
- Boyce, R.P., Setlow, R.B.: A simple method of increasing the incorporation of thymidine into deoxyribonucleic acid of E. coli. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 61, 618–620 (1962)Google Scholar
- Budman, D.R., Pardee, A.B.: Thymidine and thymine incorporation into deoxyribonucleic acid: Inhibition and repression by uridine of thymidine phosphorylase of Escherichia coli. J. Bact. 90, 1546–1550 (1967)Google Scholar
- Clark, D.J.: The regulation of DNA replication and cell division in E. coli B/r. Cold Spr. Harb. Symp. quant. Biol. 33, 823–838 (1968)Google Scholar
- Cohen, S.S., Barner, H.D.: Studies on the induction of thymine deficiency and on the effects of thymine and thymidine analogues in E. coli. J. Bact. 71, 588–597 (1956)Google Scholar
- Donachie, W.D.: Control of cell division in Escherichia coli: Experiments with thymine starvation. J. Bact. 100, 260–268 (1969)Google Scholar
- Helmstetter, C.E., Pierucci, O.: Cell division during inhibition of deoxyribonucleic acid synthesis in Escherichia coli. J. Bact. 95, 1627–1633 (1968)Google Scholar
- Kubitschek, H.E.: Counting and sizing micro-organisms with the Coulter counter. In: Methods in microbiology (J.R. Norris and D.W. Ribons, eds.) 1, 595–610 (1969)Google Scholar
- Marunouchi, T., Messer, W.: Replication of a specific chromosome segment in Escherichia coli which is required for cell division. J. molec. Biol. 78, 211–228 (1973)Google Scholar
- Messer, W.: Initiation of DNA replication in E. coli B/r. Chronology of events and transcriptional control of initiation. J. Bact. 112, 7–12 (1972)Google Scholar