The problem of stabilization after sacrectomy
- 43 Downloads
After sacrectomy, mobilization of the patient is only possible if a stable connection between the spine and pelvis can be obtained. We have developed an instrumentation to fix the pelvis to the spine. Two DHS screws connected to each other were implanted in the pelvis (one DHS screw into each ilium). An internal spine fixator, anchored in L3 and L4 through transpedicular Schanz screws, was attached to these DHS screws. Two patients were stabilized with this implant after sacrectomy. One patient was able to walk with crutches; the other patient was able to walk even without crutches.
KeywordsPublic Health Spine Fixator Internal Spine Schanz Screw Stable Connection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Campanacci M, Capanna R (1984) Pelvic malignancies — resection of the sacrum. In: Campanacci M (ed) Current concepts of diagnosis and treatment of bone and soft tissue tumors. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp 373–376Google Scholar
- 2.Feldenzer JA, McGauley JL, McGillicuddy JE (1989) Sacral and presacral tumors: problems in diagnosis and management. Neurosurgery 25:884Google Scholar
- 3.Gunterberg B, Romanus B, Stener B (1976) Pelvic strength after major amputation of the sacrum. An experimental study. Acta Orthop Scand 47:635–642Google Scholar
- 4.Michel A (1990) Total sacrectomy and lower spine resection for giant cell tumor: one case report. Chir Organ Mov 75 (Suppl 1):117–118Google Scholar
- 5.Sand MD, Mitsunaga MM, Lockett JL (1993) Total sacrectomy for a giant sacral schwannoma. A case report. Clin Orthop 284:285–289Google Scholar
- 6.Shikata J, Yamamuro T, Kotoura Y, Mikawa Y, Iida H, Maetani S (1988) Total sacrectomy and reconstruction for primary tumors. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 70:122Google Scholar
- 7.Stener B, Gunterberg B (1978) High amputation of the sacrum for extirpation of tumors: principles and technique. Spine 3:351Google Scholar
- 8.Stewart RJ, Humphreys WG, Parks TG (1986) The presentation and management of presacral tumors. Br J Surg 73:153Google Scholar
- 9.Tomita K, Tschuchiya H (1990) Total sacrectomy and reconstruction for high sacral tumors. Spine 15:1223–1227Google Scholar