Musculoaponeurotic plication in abdominoplasty: How durable are its effects?
- 84 Downloads
Abdominal myofascial plication has become an integral part of aesthetic abdominoplasty in an effort to narrow the waistline. Out of concern for the durability of this procedure, we performed a study using standard radiographs and clinical photographs to determine if there was long-term separation of the plication. Nine patients were entered into the study. In one patient immediate total separation of the plication occurred, and in another no separation occurred at all. The remaining patients' plication separated over only a 1–3-cm distance in the central part of the abdomen (original maximum width of plication was 12–16 cm). Aesthetic appearance was not compromised by this minor degree of separation. We conclude that the effects of musculoaponeurotic plication are durable.
Key wordsMusculoaponeurotic plication Abdominoplasty Abdominal contouring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Appiani E: Muscular plastic for aesthetic conformation of abdominal girdle. Ann Plast Surg 13:97, 1984Google Scholar
- 2.Aston SJ: Abdominoplasty. In: Rees TD (ed): Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 1980, Ch 36, pp 1007–1038Google Scholar
- 3.Babcock W: On diseases of women and children. Am J Obstet Gynecol 74:596, 1916Google Scholar
- 4.Bozola AR, Psillakis JM: Abdominoplasy: A new concept and classification for treatment. Plast Reconstr Surg 82:983–993, 1988Google Scholar
- 5.Callia WEP: Uma plastica para o cirurgiao geral. Med Hosp 11:40, 1967Google Scholar
- 6.De Pina DP: Aesthetic abdominal deformities: A personal approach to the posterior rectus sheath and rectus muscles. Plast Reconstr Surg 75:660–666, 1985Google Scholar
- 7.Grazer FM: Abdominoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg 51:617, 1973Google Scholar
- 8.Jackson IT, Downie PA: Abdominoplasty-the waistline stitch and other refinements. Plast Reconstr Surg 61:180–193, 1978Google Scholar
- 9.Kelly HA: Report of gynecological cases. Case 3. Excessive growth of fat. Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp 10:197, 1899Google Scholar
- 10.Kelly HA: Excision of fat of the abdominal wall lipectomy. Surg Gynecol Obstet 10:299, 1910Google Scholar
- 11.Marques A, Brenda E, Ishizuka MA et al: Abdominoplasty: Modified plication. Br J Plast Surg 43:473–475, 1990Google Scholar
- 12.Psillakis JM: Plastic surgery of the abdomen with improvement in the body contour, physiopathology and treatment of the aponeurotic musculature. Clin Plast Surg 11:465–477, 1984Google Scholar
- 13.Toranto IR: The relief of low back pain with the WARP abdominoplasty: A preliminary report. Plast Reconstr Surg 85:545–555, 1990Google Scholar