Transconjunctival blepharoplasty: Further applications and adjuncts
- 77 Downloads
Recent enthusiasm for transconjunctival blepharoplasty (TCB) has encouraged us to extend the technique not only to patients who need removal of excess orbital fat, but also to those with fine wrinkles, excess skin, and redundant or ptotic orbicularis muscle. We describe our technique that combines the transconjunctival removal of fat with a trichloroacetic acid-Jessner's solution chemical peel, a phenol peel, a skin pinch excision, or lateral canthoplasty performed at the same time. The combined procedures require minimal operative time and there is less morbidity during recovery than with the standard external approach. The procedure has produced eyelids with a rejuvenated, natural, and unoperated on appearance.
Key wordsTransconjunctival blepharoplasty Minimal morbidity Natural appearance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baylis HI, Long JA, Groth MJ: Transconjunctival lower eyelid blepharoplasty. Ophthamology 96:1027, 1989Google Scholar
- 2.Carraway JH, Mellow CG: The prevention and treatment of lower lid ectropian following blepharoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg 85:971, 1990Google Scholar
- 3.Dinner MI, Glassman H, Artz JS: The no flap technique of lower lid blepharoplasty. Aesth Plast Surg 16:155, 1992Google Scholar
- 4.Mahe E, Harfooni-Chanaoui T, Banal A, Chappey C, Tvauquocchi X: Different surgical technical approaches for blepharoplasty in eyelid rejuvenation surgery. Arch Otorhinolaryngol 246:353, 1989Google Scholar
- 5.McKinney P, Zukowski ML, Mossie R: The fourth option: A novel approach to lower lid blepharoplasty. Aesth Plast Surg 15:293, 1991Google Scholar
- 6.Parkes M, Fern W, Brennan HG: Pinch technique for repair of cosmetic deformities. Arch Ophthamol 89:324, 1973Google Scholar
- 7.Rees TD: Prevention of ectropion by horizontal shortening of the lower lid during blepharoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg 59:649, 1977Google Scholar
- 8.Schwartz F, Randall P: Conjunctival incision for herniated orbital fat. Ophthal Surg 11:276, 1980Google Scholar
- 9.Tomlinson FB, Hovey LM: Transconjunctival lower lid blepharoplasty for removal of fat. Plast Reconstr Surg 56:314, 1975Google Scholar
- 10.Zarem HA, Resnick JI: Expanded applications for transconjunctival lower lid blepharoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg 88:215, 1991Google Scholar