Fixation of scaphoid delayed union and non-union with absorbable polyglycolide pin or Herbert screw
Internal fixation with an absorbable polyglycolide pin or a Herbert screw was used to treat 34 patients with ununited and delayed union of fractures of the carpal scaphoid. The late clinical result could be reviewed in 14 patients in the polyglycolide group and 10 in the Herbert group with an average follow-up time of 68 and 58 months, respectively. The rate of union was 64% in the polyglycolide group and 60% in the Herbert group. The functional outcome was better in the Herbert group than in the polyglycolide group. A transient local abacterial tissue reaction occurred in 5 of 20 (25%) patients in the polyglycolide group. Two Herbert screws were removed due to penetration of the screw into the radial cartilage. The complication rate was relatively high with both methods. The polyglycolide pin results were unsatisfactory in this study, and thus we do not recommend their use in delayed union of and ununited scaphoid fractures.
KeywordsPublic Health Clinical Result Complication Rate Functional Outcome Internal Fixation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barton NJ (1992) Twenty questions about scaphoid fractures. J Hand Surg [Br] 17:289–310Google Scholar
- 2.Böhler VL, Trojan E, Jahna H (1954) Behandlungsergebnisse von 734 frischen einfachen Brüchen des Kahnbeinkbrpers der Hand. Wiederherstellungschirurgie 2:86–111Google Scholar
- 3.Böstman O, Partio E, Hirvensalo E, Rokkanen P (1992) Foreign body reactions to polyglycolide screws: observation in 24/216 malleolar fracture cases. Acta Orthop Scand 63:173–176Google Scholar
- 4.Herbert TJ, Fisher WE (1984) Management of the fractured scaphoid using a new bone screw. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 66:114–123Google Scholar
- 5.Herbert TJ, Fisher WE, Leicester AW (1992) The Herbert bone screw: a ten year perspective. J Hand Surg [Br] 17:415–419Google Scholar
- 6.Inoue G, Miura T (1991) Treatment of ununited fractures of the carpal scaphoid by iliac bone grafts and Herbert screw fixation. Int Orthop 15:279–282Google Scholar
- 7.Matti H (1936) Technik und Resultate meiner Pseudoarthrosenoperation. Zentralbl Chir 63:1142–1153Google Scholar
- 8.Proctor MT (1994) Non-union of the scaphoid: early and late management. Injury 25:15–20Google Scholar
- 9.Russe O (1960) Fracture of the carpal navicular. Diagnosis, non-operative treatment and operative treatment. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 42:759–768Google Scholar
- 10.Stark A, Broström LA, Svartengren G (1989) Surgical treatment of scaphoid nonunion. Review of the literature and recommendations for treatment. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 108:203–209Google Scholar
- 11.Taleisnik J (1988) Fractures of the carpal bones. In: Green DP (ed) Operative hand surgery, 2nd edn. Churchill Livingstone, New York, pp 813–840Google Scholar