Characterization of lignosulfonate-induced phenol oxidase activity in the atypical white-rot fungus Polyporus dichrous
- 41 Downloads
Polyporus dichrous, a white-rot fungus previously shown to lack phenol oxidase activity when grown on agar media in the presence of a variety of phenolic compounds, was found to exhibit phenol oxidase activity upon aging when grown on a lignosulfonate-containing agar medium. The phenol oxidase activity was compared with that of Trametes versicolor grown under the same conditions, in terms of substrate specificity, pH optimum, and temperature sensitivity. The phenol oxidase activity of P. dichrous was intracellular of tyrosinase type, with a pH optimum around 5.5, and was heat-sensitive, having a half-life of 10 min at 60°C.
Key wordsPhenoloxidase Tyrosinase Polyporus dichrous Lignosulfonates Wood-Decaying Fungi White-Rot Fungi
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arai, T., Mikami, Y.: Chromogenicity of Streptomyces. Appl. Microbiol. 23, 402–406 (1972)Google Scholar
- Bavendamm, W.: Über das Vorkommen und den Nachweis von Oxydasen bei holzzerstörenden Pilzen. Z. Pflanzenkrankh. 38, 257–276 (1928)Google Scholar
- Gierer, J., Opara, A. E.: Studies on the enzymatic degradation of lignin. The action of peroxidase and laccase on monomeric and dimeric model compounds. Acta chem. scand. 27, 2909–2922 (1973)Google Scholar
- Käärik, A.: The identification of the mycelia of wood-decay fungi by their oxidation reactions with phenolic compounds. Studia Forestalia Suecia Nr. 31 (1965)Google Scholar
- Kirk, T. K., Kelman, A.: Lignin degradation as related to the phenol oxidases of selected wood-decaying Basidiomycetes. Phytopathology 55, 739–745 (1965)Google Scholar
- Kirk, T. K., Lorenz, L. F.: Oxygenation of 4-alkoxyl groups in alkoxybenzoic acids by Polyporus dichrous. Appl. Microbiol. 27, 360–367 (1974)Google Scholar
- Malmström, G., Fahraeus, G., Mosbach, R.: Purification of laccase. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 28, 652–653 (1958)Google Scholar
- Selin, J.-F., Sudman, V.: Analysis of fungal degradation of lignosulphonates in solid media. Arch. Mikrobiol. 81, 383–385 (1972)Google Scholar
- Selin, J.-F., Sundman, V., Räihä, M.: Utilization and polymerization of lignosulfonates by wood-rotting fungi. Arch. Microbiol. 103, 63–70 (1975)Google Scholar
- Sundman, V., Näse, L.: A simple plate test for direct visualization of biological lignin degradation. Paper and Timber 2, 67–71 (1971)Google Scholar