Localization and partial characterization of a sex-specific enzyme in homothallic and heterothallic mucorales
- 83 Downloads
A study was made of some late reactions in the trisporic acid biosynthetic pathway in Mucor mucedo. Trisporic acids induce sexual reproduction in several Mucorales.
Two enzymes involved in these reactions, a NADP-dependent dehydrogenase and an esterase, appeared to be highly specific for the minus mating type.
The synthesis of these enzymes is stimulated by trisporic acids, indicating a positive control of these hormones upon their own synthesis.
The dehydrogenase was histochemically shown to be concentrated in the zygophores of Mucor mucedominus. In the homothallic Zygorhynchus moelleri the copulating main branch (which is known to have a minus character) appeared to be the major site of dehydrogenase activity.
Key wordsMucor mucedo Zygorhynchus moelleri Trisporic acids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bu'Lock, J. D., Drake, D., Winstanley, D. J.: Specificity and transformations of the trisporic acid series of fungal sex hormones. Phytochem. 11, 2011–2018 (1972)Google Scholar
- Bu'Lock, J. D., Jones, B. E., Winskill, N.: The apocarotenoid system of sex hormones and prohormones in Mucorales. Pure appl. Chem. (in press, 1976)Google Scholar
- Bu'Lock, J. D., Winskill, N., Jones, B. E.: Structures of the mating-type-specific prohormones of Mucorales. J. Chem. Soc. 17, 708 (1974)Google Scholar
- van den Ende, H.: Sexual morphogenesis in the Phycomycetes. In: The filamentous fungi, Vol. 3 (J. E. Smith, D. R. Berry, eds.). London: Arnold 1977 (in press)Google Scholar
- van den Ende, H., Werkman, B. A., van den Briel, M. L.: Trisporic acid synthesis in mated cultures of the fungus Blakeslea trispora. Arch. Mikrobiol. 86, 175–184 (1972)Google Scholar
- Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, N. J., Farr, A. L., Randall, R. J.: Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. biol. Chem. 193, 265–275 (1951)Google Scholar
- Mesland, D. A. M., Huisman, J. G., van den Ende, H.: Volatile sexual hormones in Mucor mucedo. J. gen. Microbiol. 80, 111–117 (1974)Google Scholar
- Nachlas, M. M., Tsou, K. C., de Souza, E., Cheng, C. S., Seligman, A. M.: Cytochemical demonstration of succinic dehydrogenase by the use of a new p-nitrophenyl substituted ditetrazole. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 5, 420–436 (1957)Google Scholar
- Nieuwenhuis, M., van den Ende, H.: Sex specificity of hormone synthesis in Mucor mucedo. Arch. Microbiol. 102, 167–169 (1975)Google Scholar
- Satina, S., Blakeslee, A. F.: Imperfect sexual reactions in homothallic and heterothallic Mucors. Bot. Gaz. 90, 299–311 (1930)Google Scholar
- Werkman, B. A., van den Ende, H.: Trisporic acid synthesis in Blakeslea trispora. Arch. Mikrobiol. 90, 365–374 (1973)Google Scholar
- Werkman, B. A., van den Ende H.: Trisporic acid synthesis in homothallic and heterothallic Mucorales. J. gen. Microbiol. 82, 273–278 (1974)Google Scholar