Croatia's territorial consolidation and prospects for the future
- 37 Downloads
The aim of this paper is to provide an overview of developments in Croatia related to boundary and territorial issues in the aftermath of the disintegration of Yugoslavia. This survey will therefore detail key events including the Serbo-Croatian war of 1991, the uprising of the Serbian minority, international mediation efforts, the deployment and operation of UN forces in Croatia and Croatia's territorial consolidation in 1995. In the aftermath of Operations “Flash” and “Storm” in May and August 1995, respectively, and the spectacular gains by combined Croat and Bosnian forces in western Bosnia in September 1995, Croatia's strategic outlook has been transformed. There are, however, several outstanding issues and disputes yet to be resolved and these will be outlined.
KeywordsEnvironmental Management Outstanding Issue Territorial Issue International Mediation Mediation Effort
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Almond, M.: Europe's backyard war. Heinemann, London 1994. Heinemann, London 1994.Google Scholar
- Boutros-Ghali, B.: An agenda for peace. United Nations, New York 1992.Google Scholar
- Baletic, Z.; Esterajher, J.; Jajcinovic, M.; Klemencic, M.; Milardovic, A.; Nikic, G.; Visnar, F.: Croatia between aggression and peace. AGM, Zagreb, 1994.Google Scholar
- Klemencic, M.: Causes and dynamic of the war in Croatia. Acta Geographica Croatica 28, 187–194 (1993).Google Scholar
- Klemencic, M.; Schofield, C.: An UNhappy Birthday in former Yugoslavia: A Croatian border war. Boundary and Security Bulletin 2(3), 47–54 (1995a).Google Scholar
- Klemencic, M.; Schofield, C.: Summer storms over the Balkans. Boundary and Security Bulletin 3(3), 34–40 (1995b).Google Scholar
- Szajkowski, B.: Encyclopaedia of conflicts, disputes and flashpoints in Eastern Europe, Russia and the successor states. Longman, Harlow 1993.Google Scholar
- UNPROFOR, Division of information: UNPROFOR, working for peace together (leaflet). Zagreb, October 1994.Google Scholar
- Vego, M.: The army of Serbian Krajina. Jane's Intelligence Review 10(5), 438–445 (1993).Google Scholar