Lattice dynamics and specific heat of Al-Si and Al-Ge solid solutions
- 50 Downloads
A simplified treatment has been proposed to study quantitatively the lattice dynamics of Al-Si and Al-Ge alloy systems by solid-solutioning under pressure. The volume and electron density effects on the lattice dynamics of the pure constituents aluminium, silicon or germanium are considered, and the phonon dispersion relations of the local and band modes were obtained. Then, the concentration dependence of the local and band mode frequencies were calculated for the Al1−xSi x and Al1−xGe x systems. Using the local and band mode frequencies, the lattice specific heat at constant volume was determined theoretically, and results obtained for the temperature-dependent specific heat of matrix aluminium were found to be in good agreement with the experimental data. The concentration dependence of the specific heat could then be predicted quantitatively for Al1−xSi x and Al1−xGe x alloy systems.
KeywordsSolid Solution Dispersion Relation Germanium Concentration Dependence Constant Volume
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. Soma, Y. Funayama and H.-Matsuo Kagata, J. Mater. Sci. 25 (1990) 3917.Google Scholar
- 2.T. Soma, S. Takashima and H.-Matsuo Kagaya, ibid. 27 (1992) 1184.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Mostoller and T. Kaplan, Phys. Rev. B 16 (1977) 2350.Google Scholar
- 4.W. A. Kamitakahara and J. R. D. Copley, ibid. 18 (1978) 3772.Google Scholar
- 5.G. Grünewald and R. Schopohl, J. Phys. F 9 (1979) 1047.Google Scholar
- 6.G. Jacucci, M. L. Klein and R. Taylor, Solid State Commun. 24 (1977) 685.Google Scholar
- 7.idem, Phys. Rev. B 18 (1978) 3782.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Soma, H. Ohsugi and H.-Matsuo Kagaya, Phys. Status Solidi (b) 124 (1984) 525.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Stedman and G. Nilson, Phys. Rev. 145 (1966) 492.Google Scholar
- 10.Y. S. Touloukian, R. K. Kirby, R. E. Taylor and T. Y. R. Lee, “Thermophysical Properties of Matter, Vol. 4, Specific Heat” (IFI/Plenum, New York, 1970).Google Scholar
- 11.P. C. Trivedi, J. Phys. F. 1 (1971) 262.Google Scholar