Sleep and aminophylline treatment of apnea in preterm infants
- 30 Downloads
The influence of short-term aminophylline treatment on sleep behaviour was studied in six preterms infants with recurrent apnea. The incidence of apnea, respiratory pauses, and bradycardias which were closely related to the phases of active sleep, decreased during aminophylline treatment. However, the amount of active sleep remained unaffected. The mode of action of aminophylline is discussed in view of the previously proposed neurophysiological concept of apnea of prematurity.
Key wordsActive sleep Apnea Aminophylline Preterm infants
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Albani, M., Toseland, P. A.: A simple rapid gaschromatographic method for the determination of theophylline in dried whole blood on filter paper cards. Neuropädiatrie 9, 97–99 (1978)Google Scholar
- 2.Aranda, J. V., Sitar, D. S., Parsons, W. D., Loughnan, P. M., Neims, A. H.: Pharmacokinetic aspects of theophylline in premature newborns. N. Engl. J. Med. 295, 413–416 (1976)Google Scholar
- 3.Bednarek, F. J., Roloff, D. W.: Treatment of apnea of prematurity with aminophylline. Pediatrics 58, 335–339 (1976)Google Scholar
- 4.Gabriel, M., Albani, M., Schulte, F. J.: Apneic spells and sleep states in preterm infants. Pediatrics 57, 142–147 (1976)Google Scholar
- 5.Gabriel, M.: Zur Apnoe-Genese gesunder Neugeborener. Mschr. Kinderheilk. 125, 181–184 (1977)Google Scholar
- 6.Gabriel, M., Albani, M.: Rapid eye movement sleep, apnea, and cardiac slowing influenced by phenobarbital administration in the neonate. Pediatrics 60, 426–430 (1977)Google Scholar
- 7.Kattwinkel, J., Nearman, H. S., Fanaroff, A. A., Katona, P. G., Klaus, M. H.: Apnea of prematurity. J. Pediatr. 86, 588–592 (1975)Google Scholar
- 8.Kattwinkel, J., Mars, H., Fanaroff, A. A., Klaus, M. H.: Urinary biogenic amines in idiopathic apnea of prematurity. J. Pediatr. 88, 1003–1006 (1976)Google Scholar
- 9.Lucey, J. F.: The xanthine treatment of apnea of prematurity. Pediatrics 55, 584–586 (1975)Google Scholar
- 10.Shannon, D. C., Gotay, F., Stein, I. M., Rogers, M. C., Todres, I. D., Moylan, F. M. B.: Prevention of apnea and bradycardia in low-birthweight infants. Pediatrics 55, 589–594 (1975)Google Scholar
- 11.Uauy, R., Shapiro, D. L., Smith, B., Warshaw, J. B.: Treatment of severe apnea in prematures with orally administered theophylline. Pediatrics 55, 595–598 (1975)Google Scholar