Generalized lymphadenitis following B.C.G. vaccination in an immunocompetent 12-year-old boy
- 37 Downloads
An immunocompetent, healthy 12-year-old boy was presented with generalized large lymphadenopathy in the left side of the body, 1 month after a BCG vaccination with a regular dose. A Mantoux test before vaccination was negative. Histological and bacteriological findings from the largest lymph node biopsy revealed BCG'itis. The patient recovered sponaneously after 7 months. He was confirmed as being immunocompetent by normal serum immunoglobulin levels, normal B and T cell function tests, and a conversion of Mantoux test. BCG infections including lymphadenitis are rare and have been described hitherto mainly in infants, in immune deficient patients, or related to overdose.
Such a complication must be taken into consideration when dealing with lymphadenopathy in healthy school-age children, who now undergo BCG vaccinations in many countries.
Key wordsLymphadenitis BCG-Adverse reactions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agadzi VK (1978) BCG complications: An analysis of 36 cases. Dev Biol Stand 41:75–78Google Scholar
- 2.Kallesoe O, Jesperson A (1978) Metastatic osteomyelitis following BCG vaccination. Acta Orthop Scand 49:134–137Google Scholar
- 3.Lehman HG, Engelhardt H, Freudenstein H, Hennensen W, Ute-Quast Widmark EM (1978) BCG vaccination of neonates, infants, schoolchildren and adolescents. Dev Biol Stand 43:127–137Google Scholar
- 4.Mackay A, Alcoln MJ, Macleod IM, Start BHR, Millar JS, White RG (1980) Fatal disseminated BCG infection in an 18-year-old boy. Lancet 2 (2):1332Google Scholar
- 5.Marks J, Jenkins PA, Kilpatrick GS, Engbaek HC, Vergmann B (1971) Pulmonary tuberculosis due to BCG. Br Med J 24(3): 229–230Google Scholar
- 6.Pedersen FK, Engbaek HC, Hertz H, Vergmann B (1978) Fatal BCG infection in an immunocompetent girl. Acta Paediatr Scand 67:519–523Google Scholar
- 7.Ungthavorn P, Su-Omphan A (1978) Management of lymphadenitis following BCG vaccination. J Med Assoc Thai 61(5):256–259Google Scholar
- 8.Watkins SM (1971) Unusual complications of BCG vaccination. Br Med J 1:442Google Scholar