Prolactin response to thyrotropin-releasing hormone in children with Turner's syndrome and hyperthyroidism
- 24 Downloads
Plasma prolactin (PRL) response to synthetic thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) was studied in 26 prepubertal and 19 pubertal children with constitutional short stature, 7 patients with Turner's syndrome and 10 patients with hyperthyroidism. The mean basal concentrations of plasma PRL did not differ among groups. In prepubertal children PRL responses to TRH were comparable in both sexes, while pubertal children plasma PRL levels after TRH in females were significantly higher (P<0.05) than those in age-matched males. Plasma PRL levels after TRH in patients with Turner's syndrome were significantly higher (P<0.05) than those in age-matched males, but were not significantly different from those in age-matched females. Plasma PRL response to TRH was markedly suppressed in patients with hyperthyroidism before treatment, but it returned to normal after treatment when patients became euthyroid. A significant correlation (P<0.05) between peak concentrations of plasma PRL after TRH stimulation and plasma T3 but not T4 levels was observed.
These data suggest that a sex difference in TRH-stimulated PRL secretion appears around puberty and that plasma PRL response to TRH is suppressed in children with hyperthyroidism. The magnitude of plasma PRL response to TRH is closely correlated with the severity of hyperthyroidism when judged by plasma T3 but not T4 concentrations.
Key wordsTRH Prolactin Hyperthyroidism Turner syndrome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abe K, Taguchi T, Okuno A, Matsuura N, Sasaki H (1979) Acute suppurative thyroiditis in children. J Pediatr 94:912–914Google Scholar
- 2.Aubert ML, Grumbach MM, Kaplan SL (1974) Heterologus radioimmunoassay for plasma human prolactin (h PRL): Values in normal subjects, puberty, pregnancy and pituitary disorders. Acta Endocrinol 77:460–476Google Scholar
- 3.Bohnet HG, McNeilly AS (1979) Prolactin: Assessment of its role in the human female. Horm Metab Res 11:533–546Google Scholar
- 4.Bowers CY, Friesen HG, Hwang P, Guyda HJ, Folkers K (1971) Prolactin and thyrotropin release in man by synthetic pyroglutamyl-histidyl-prolinamide. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 45:1032–1041Google Scholar
- 5.Ehara Y, Yen SS, Siler TM (1975) Serum prolactin levels during puberty. Am J Obstet Gynecol 121:995–997Google Scholar
- 6.Foley TP Jr, Jacob LS, Hoffman W, Daughaday WH, Blizzard RM (1972) Human prolactin and thyrotropin concentrations in the serums of normal and hypopituitary children before and after the administration of synthetic thyrotropin-releasing hormone. J Clin Invest 51:2143–2150Google Scholar
- 7.Guyda HJ, Friesen HG (1973) Serum prolactin levels in human from birth to adult life. Pediatr Res 7:534–540Google Scholar
- 8.Illig R, Torresani T, Bucher H, Prader A (1980) Elevated plasma prolactin in prepubertal patients with Turner's syndrome. Acta Endocrinol Suppl 234 (94):13–14Google Scholar
- 9.Jacobs LS, Snyder PJ, Utiger RD, Daughaday WH (1973) Prolactin response to thyrotropin-releasing hormone in normal subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 36:1069–1073Google Scholar
- 10.Kaplan SL, Grumbach MM, Friesen HG, Costom BH (1972) Thyrotropin-releasing factor (TRF) effect on secretion of human pituitary prolactin and thyrotropin in children and in idiopathic hypopituitary dwarfism: Further evidence for hypophysiotropic hormone deficiencies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 35:825–830Google Scholar
- 11.Okada Y, Onishi T, Tanaka K, Morimoto S, Tsuji M, Watanabe K, Okazaki A, Takeuchi T, Kumahara Y (1978) Prolactin and its response to TRH, chlorpromazine and L-Dopa in children with human growth hurmone deficiency. Acta Endocrinol 88:217–226Google Scholar
- 12.Onishi T, Miyai K, Izumi K, Nakanishi H, Kumahara Y (1975) Prolactin response to chlorpromazine and thyrotropin-releasing hormone in hyperthyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 40:30–32Google Scholar
- 13.Pertzelan S, Assa S, Keret R, Laron Z (1977) Prolactin secretion in girls with isolated gonadotropin deficiency. Clin Endocrinol 7: 429–431Google Scholar
- 14.Roitman A, Assa S, Pertzelan A, Zadik Z, Laron Z (1980) Prolactin secretion in 70 patients with growth hormone deficiency. Eur J Pediatr 133:251–258Google Scholar
- 15.Snyder PJ, Jacob LS, Utiger RD, Daughaday WH (1973) Thyroid hormone inhibition of the prolactin response to thyrotropin-releasing hormone. J Clin Invest 52:2324–2329Google Scholar
- 16.Suter SN, Kaplan SL, Aubert ML, Grumbach MM (1978) Plasma prolactin and thyrotropin and the response to thyrotropin-releasing factor in children with primary and hypothalamic hypothyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 47:1015–1020Google Scholar
- 17.Yamaji T (1974) Modulation of prolactin release by altered levels of thyroid hormones. Metabolism 23:745–751Google Scholar
- 18.Yamaji T, Shimamoto K, Ishibashi M, Kosaka K, Orimo H (1976) Effect of age and sex on circulating and pituitary prolactin levels in human. Acta Endocrinol 83:711–719Google Scholar