Cladosporiosis (Cerebral Phaeohyphomycosis) of brain — a case report
- 28 Downloads
A case of cerebral cladosporiosis caused by Cladosporium trichoides (bantianum) now known as Xylohypha bantiana is described and illustrated. Predisposing debilitating diseases were not detectable. The Cladosporiosis diagnosis was based on visualisation of hyphal element in direct Gram's stain, direct KOH preparate of pus from brain abscess and on repeated successful cultivation of Cladosporium trichoides from specimen and by histopathology. Following surgery and anti-fungal chemotherapy the patient was cured.
Key wordsbrain abscess Cladosporium good outcome nonimmuno compromised young patient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bagchi AK, Aikat BK, Barua D. Granulomatous lesion of the brain produced by C. Trichoides. J Indian Med Associ 1962; 38: 602–604.Google Scholar
- 2.Brown JW, Nadell J, Sanders CV, Sardenga L. Brain abscess caused by Cl. trichoides (Bantianum). A case with paranasal sinus involvement. South Med J 1976; 69: 1519–1521.Google Scholar
- 3.Dastur HM, Chauker AP, Rebello MD. Cerebral chromoblastomycosis due to Cl. trichoides (bantianum). Part. I Neural India 1966; 14: 1–5.Google Scholar
- 4.Dennis MD, William EM, Hervert LE, Stephen M. Experimental central nervous system phaeohyphomycosis following intranasal inoculation of Xylohypha bantiana in cortisone treated mice. Mycopathologia 1987; 100: 145–153.Google Scholar
- 5.Desai SC, Bhatikar ML, Mehra PS. Cerebral chromoblastomycosis due to Cl. trichoides (bantianum). Part II. Neurol India 1966; 14: 6–8.Google Scholar
- 6.Emmons CW, Binford CH, Utz JP, Kwon-Chung KJ. Medical Mycology 3rd Philadelphia Lea & Febiger 1977; 472.Google Scholar
- 7.Middleton FG, Jurgenson PF, Utz JP, Shadomy S, Shadomy H. Brain abscess caused by C. Trichoides. Arch Intern Med 1976; 136: 444–448.Google Scholar
- 8.Mc Ginnis MR, Borelli D, Padhye AA, Ajello L. Reclassification of cladosporium bantium in genus xylohypha. J Clin Microbiol 1986; 23: 1148–1151.Google Scholar
- 9.Rippon JW. Medical Mycology. The pathogenic fungi and pathogenic Actinomycetes. 1st ed. Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders Company, 1974; 234.Google Scholar
- 10.Sandhyamani S, Bhatia R, Mohapatra LN, Roy S. Cerebral Cladosporiosis. Surgical Neurology 1972; 15: 431–434.Google Scholar