Detection of Candida albicans in disseminated candidosis by immunofluorescence staining
- 22 Downloads
An indirect immunofluorescence (IF) method using rabbit anti-Candida albicans was used to detect C. albicans in blood samples of 12 patients with systemic candidosis defined clinically, histologically and by blood cultures. Positive staining of C. albicans could be detected in all of the patients. The findings suggest that IF-method offers a more rapid method in the diagnosis of disseminated candidosis.
Key wordsCandida albicans candidosis immunofluorescence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.De Repentigny L, Reiss E. Current trends in immunodiagnosis of candidiasis and aspergillosis. Rev Inf Dis 1984; 6: 301–12.Google Scholar
- 2.Drutz DJ. Antigen detection in fungal infections. N Eng J Med 1986; 314: 115–7.Google Scholar
- 3.Fisher JF, Trincher RC, Agel JF, Buxton TB, Walker CA, Johnson DH, Cormier RE, Chew WH, Rissing JP. Disseminated candidiasis: A comparison of two immunological techniques in the diagnosis. Am J Med Sci 1985; 290: 135–42.Google Scholar
- 4.Lehmann PF, Reiss E. Comparison of serum anti-Candida albicans mannan IgG levels in ELISA tests of a normal population and in diseased patients. Mycopathologia 1980; 2: 89–93.Google Scholar
- 5.Matthews R. Immunoblot analysis of serological response in systemic candidosis. Lancet 1984; 22/29: 1415–8.Google Scholar
- 6.Mecksroth KL, Reiss E, Keller JW. Detection of antibodies and antigenemia in leukemic patients with candidiasis by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. J Inf Dis 1981; 144:24–32.Google Scholar
- 7.Myerowitz RL, Pazin GJ, Allen CM. Disseminated candidiasis: change in incidence, underlying diseases, and pathology. Am J Clin Path 1977; 68: 29–38.Google Scholar
- 8.Quindos G, Ponton J, Cisterna R. Detection of antibodies to Candida albicans germ tube in the diagnosis of systemic candidiasis. Eur J Clin Microbiol 1987; 6: 142–6.Google Scholar
- 9.Richardson MD, Stubbins JM, Warnock DW. Rapid enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for detection of IgG antibodies to Candida albicans. Mycopathologia 1983; 81:29–33.Google Scholar