Comparison of two methods of calculating Quality-adjusted Life Years
This paper compares two methods for calculating QALYs using quality of life data from a clinical trial. The methods produced similar results in the population as a whole, but they gave different results in a large subset. Different methods for calculating QALYs may give different results, and care should be taken to select the correct method.
Key wordsQuality-adjusted life years quality of life Quality of Well-being scale
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kaplan RM, Anderson JP, Ganiats TG. The Quality of Well-being scale: Rationale for a single quality of life index. In: Walker SR, Rosser RM, eds. Quality of Life Assessment: Key Issues in the 1990s. 2nd ed. London: MTM Press, 1993: 65–94.Google Scholar
- 2.Stasin WB, Weinstein MC. Public-health rounds at the Harvard School of Public Health. Allocation of resources to manage hypertension. New Engl J Med 1977; 296: 732–739.Google Scholar
- 3.Mehrez A, Gafni A. The healthy-years equivalents: how to measure them using the standard gamble approach. Med Dec Making 1991; 11: 140–146.Google Scholar
- 4.Torrance GW. Utility approach to measuring health-related quality of life. J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 593–600.Google Scholar
- 5.Kaplan RM, Bush JW. Health-related quality of life measurements for evaluation research and policy analysis. Health Psych 1982; 1: 61–80.Google Scholar
- 6.Kaplan RM, Bush JW, Berry CC. The reliability, stability and generalizability of a health status index. In: Society AS, ed. Proceedings of the Social Statistics Section. Washington, DC: American Statistical Society, 1978.Google Scholar
- 7.The Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation Investigators. Design of multicenter randomized trial for the stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation study. Stroke 1990; 21: 538–545.Google Scholar
- 8.Ganiats T, Palinkas L, Kaplan R. Comparison of Quality of Well-being scale and Functional Status Index in patients with atrial fibrillation. Med Care 1992; 30(10): 958–964.Google Scholar