The application of morphometry in gastric cytological diagnosis
- 18 Downloads
The applicability of morphometry in the cytological diagnosis of adenocarcinoma of the stomach was tested. Useful morphometric variables were extracted from 41 cases with known histology, and applied to 33 other cases: in all these cases the histological diagnosis were successfully predicted. Morphometry was applied an additional 39 cases selected for difficulties in cytodiagnosis. In the group of cases with suspicious cytology in particular, refinement of cytodiagnosis was achieved by the application of morphometry.
Key wordsMorphometry Gastric carcinoma Gastric cytology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boon ME, Löwhagen T, Willems JS (1980) Planimetrie studies on fine needle aspirates from follicular adenoma and follicular carcinoma of the thyroid. Acta Cytologica 24:145–148Google Scholar
- Cooley WW, Lohnes PR (1971) Multivariate data analysis. John Wiley and sons, New York, pp 262–286Google Scholar
- Danno M (1975) Statistical criteria for the cytology of gastric cancer. A proposal of distance index. Acta Cytologica 20:466Google Scholar
- Kasugai T, Kobayashi S, Kuno N (1978) Endoscopie Cytology of the oesophagus, stomach and pancreas. Acta Cytologica 22:327–330Google Scholar
- Keighley MRB, Thompson H, Moore J, Hoare AM, Allan RN, Dykes PW (1979) Comparison of brush cytology before and after biopsy for the diagnosis of gastric carcinoma. Br J Surg 66:246Google Scholar
- Prolla JC, Kirsner JB, Cockerham L (1977) Direct vision endoscopic cytology and biopsy in the diagnosis of oesophageal and gastric tumours. Acta Cytologica 21:399–402Google Scholar
- Shida S (1965) Diagnosis of early gastric cancer, In: Gastric cytology, Vol 4. Bonic Yodo Co, Ltd., TokyoGoogle Scholar
- Spaander PJ, Ruiter DJ, Hermans J, de Voogt HJ, Brussee J, Boon ME (1981) The implications of subjective recognition of malignant cells in aspirations for the grading of prostatic cancer using cell image analysis. Analyt Quant Cytol (in press)Google Scholar
- Young JA, Hughes HE (1980) Three year trial of endoscopic cytology of the stomach and duodenum. Gut 21:241–246Google Scholar
- Young JA, Hughes HE, Lee FD (1980) Evaluation of endoscopie brush and biopsy touch smear cytology and biopsy histology in the diagnosis of carcinoma of the lower oesophagus and cardia. J Clin Pathol 33:811–814Google Scholar