Effect of hymexazol on growth and reproduction of low temperature Phytophthora species
The effect of hymexazol (3-hydroxy-5-methylisoxazole or HMI) on growth and reproduction of low temperature Phytophthora species with growth maxima under 30 °C, was studied on clarified V-8 juice agar medium at 50 μg/ml and 5 μg/ml. HMI severely inhibited growth of P. infestons, P. phaseoli, P. porri and P. syringae, retarded the growth of P. hibernalis and P. lateralis but enhanced the growth of P. fragariae and P. ilicis. Phytophthora cactorum and P. pseudotsugae with a maximal temperature of 30 °C were moderately inhibited.
HMI reduced or prevented sporangial production on agar medium by P. cactorum, P. hibernalis, P. ilicis, P. infestons, P. lateralis, P. phaseoli, P. porri and P. primulae, and suppressed chlamydospore formation in P. porri and to a lesser extent, P. lateralis. The production of sex organs was prevented by HMI in P. phaseoli, P. porri, and P. syringae, reduced in P. hibernalis and P. ilicis but unaffected in P. cactorum, P. primulae and P. psuedotsugae.
KeywordsAgar Agar Medium Growth Maximum Phytophthora Phytophthora Species
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hansen EM, Hamm PB, Julis AJ, Roth LF: Isolation, incidence and management of Phytophthora in forest tree nurseries in the Pacific Northwest. Pl Dis Reptr 63:607–611, 1979.Google Scholar
- 2.Ho HH: Synoptic keys to the species of Phytophthora. Mycologia 73:705–714, 1981.Google Scholar
- 3.Ho HH: Affinity groups among plant pathogenic species of Phytophthora in culture. Mycopathologia 79:141–146, 1982.Google Scholar
- 4.Masago H, Yoshikawa M, Fukuda M, Nakanishi N: Selective inhibition of Pythium spp. on a medium for direct isolation of Phytophthora spp. from soils and plants. Phytopathology 67:425–428, 1977.Google Scholar
- 5.Papavizas GC, Bowers JH, Johnston SA: Selective isolation of Phytophthora capsici from soils. Phytopathology 71:129–133, 1981.Google Scholar
- 6.Shen Chong-Yao, Tsao PH: Sensitivity of Phytophthora infestans to hymexazol in selective media. Trans Br Mycol Soc 80:567–570, 1983.Google Scholar
- 7.Solel Z, Pinkas Y: A modified selective medium for detecting Phytophthora cinnamomi on avocado roots. Phytopathology 84:506–508, 1984.Google Scholar
- 8.Tay FCS, Nandapalan K, Davison EM: Growth and zoospore germination of Phytophthora spp. on P10V8 agar with hymexazol. Phytopathology 73:234–240, 1983.Google Scholar
- 9.Tsao PH, Guy SO: Inhibition of Mortierella and Pythium in a Phytophthora-isolation medium containing hymexazol Phytopathology 67:796–801, 1977.Google Scholar
- 10.Waterhouse GM: Key to the species of Phytophthora de Bary. CMI Mycol Pap 92:1–22, 1963.Google Scholar