Genetic characterisation of New Zealand and Australian wine yeasts
- 42 Downloads
Twenty five culture wine yeast strains from New Zealand and Australia were examined for killer capability or sensitivity. Eight yeast strains were K 2 + killers, six of the K 2 + R 1 - R 3 + phenotype and two of the K 2 + R 1 - R 3 - phenotype. The seventeen sensitive strains were separated into four phenotype classes. The homothallic life cycle was detected in twenty-one strains and one further strain is probably triploid.
KeywordsYeast Strain Grape Juice Wine Yeast Spore Culture Wine Yeast Strain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- HaraS., IimuraY. & OtsukaK. (1980) Breeding of useful killer wine yeasts. Am. J. Enol. Vitic. 31: 28–33Google Scholar
- HaraS. (1984) Application of killer yeasts in winemaking. Hakkokogaku Kaishi 62: 325–340Google Scholar
- MakowerM. & BevanE. A. (1963) The inheritance of killer character in yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae). Proc. Int. Congr. Genet. The Hague ed. Goerts, S. J. 11: 127Google Scholar
- Makower, M. (1964) Inheritance of killer reaction in yeast. Doctor of Philosophy Thesis. Oxford UniversityGoogle Scholar
- MortimerR. K. & HawthorneD. C. (1969) Yeast Genetics. In: A. H.Rose & J. S.Harrison (eds), The Yeasts, Vol. 1, pp 386–460. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- NaumovG. I., TyurinaL. V., Bur'yanN. I. & NaumogaT. I. (1973) Winemaking, an ecological niche of type K2 killer Saccharomyces. Biol. Nauki 16: 103–107Google Scholar
- NaumovG. I. & KondratevaV. I. (1979) Tetraploidy in the yeast Saccharomyces oxidans 2592. Dokl. Akad. Nauk. SSSR 245: 231–233Google Scholar
- TakahashiT. (1978). Genetic analysis of a German wine yeast. Bull. Brew. Sci. 24: 39–47Google Scholar
- ThorntonR. J. & EschenbruchR. (1981) Homothallism einer schwach und einer stark sulfitbildenden Weinhefe. Die Wein-Wissenschaft 36: 181–182Google Scholar
- ThorntonR. J. (1983) New yeast strains from old: The application of genetics to wine yeasts. Food Technol. Australia 35: 46–50Google Scholar
- WicknerR. B. (1981) Killer systems in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. In: J. N.Strathern, E. W.Jones & J. B.Broach (eds), The molecular biology of the yeast Saccharomyces: Life cycle and inheritance. pp 415–444. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New YorkGoogle Scholar