The relation between cerebral serotonin levels and conditioned behaviour in the rat following the administration of LSD-25 and UML
Successive daily injections of LSD-25 and UML (1-methyl-d-lysergic acid butanolamide) caused progressive depression of brain 5-HT levels in the rat. On the fourth day, the decrease was significant with respect to the highly significant fall observed after a single administration, whereas it had been shown earlier that conditioned behaviour is no longer affected by LSD-25 after 3 days and that simultaneous administration of a single dose of LSD-25 and UML is equally ineffective in this respect. Its depression of 5-HT levels, however, has now been shown to be equal to that of LSD-25 alone at doses that influence conditioned behaviour. The findings indicate that changes in such behaviour are not dependent on brain 5-HT levels and that no link exists between such levels and the psychotomimetic effect of LSD-25 in man.
Key wordsLSD-25 UML Acute Chronic Behaviour 5-HT Brain Rat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Diaz, J. L., Huttunen, M. O.: Persistent increase in brain serotonin turnover after chronic administration of lysergic acid diethylamide in the rat. Science 174, 62–63 (1971)Google Scholar
- Freedman, D. X., Aghajanian, G. K., Ornitz, E. M.: Patterns of tolerance to lysergic acid diethylamide and mescaline in rats. Science 127, 1173–1174 (1958)Google Scholar
- McGlothlin, W. H., Arnold, D. O.: LSD revisited. A tenyear follow-up of medical LSD use. Arch. gen. Psychiat. 24, 35–49 (1971)Google Scholar
- Shore, P., Olin, J. J.: Identification and chemical assay of norepinephrine in brain and other tissues. J. Pharmacol. exp. Ther. 122, 295–300 (1958)Google Scholar
- Torre, M.: Effetto inibente l'azione dell'LSD-25 sul riflesso condizionato di fuga nel ratto da parte del metisergide bimaleato. Boll. Soc. ital. Biol. sper. 48, 1–3 (1972)Google Scholar
- Torre, M., Fagiani, M. B.: Effects of LSD-25 and dimethysergide bimaleate on a conditioned reflex in the rat. J. neurol. Sci. 7, 571–579 (1968)Google Scholar
- Torre, M., Fagiani, M. B.: Assuefazione all'LSD-25. Ricerche sulla risposta condizionata di fuga nel ratto. Boll. Soc. ital. Biol. sper. 48, 590–592 (1972)Google Scholar
- Torre, M., Bogetto, F., Torre, E.: Effect of LSD-25 and 1-methyl-d-lysergic acid butanolamide on rat brain and platelet serotonin levels. Psychopharmacologia (Berl.) 36, 117–122 (1974)Google Scholar