Citrate lyase from Streptococcus diacetilactis
- 34 Downloads
Citrate lyase (EC 188.8.131.52) was purified 38-fold from cell-free extracts of Streptococcus diacetilactis. The enzyme was homogeneous in analytical ultracentrifugation and polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis
The final enzyme preparation contained acetate: HS-citrate lyase ligase—an acetylating enzyme which converts inactive HS-citrate lyase into enzymatically active acetyl-S-citrate lyase. This enzyme activity was purified 25-fold over the crude extract and seemed to be associated with citrate lyase. Partially purified citrate lyase from Leuconostoc citrovorum contained also its acetylating enzyme.
Purified citrate lyases from Klebsiella aerogenes and Rhodopseudomonas gelatinosa were devoid of acetylating enzyme activity.
The HS-form of citrate lyase from S. diacetilactis was completely acetylated and hence activated by incubation with ATP and acetate for 25 min at 25° C. The enzyme did not acetylate the HS-lyases from R. gelatinosa and K. aerogenes.
In contrast to the citrate lyases from R. gelatinosa and K. aerogenes the enzymes from S. diacetilactis and L. citrovorum showed onlya very weak reaction inactivation. It is assumed that this is due to the association of the acetylating enzymes with these lyases.
Key wordsCitrate Lyase Acetate: HS-Citrate Lyase Ligase Citrate Lyase Acetylating Enzyme Multienzyme Complex Streptococcus diacetilactis Leuconostoc citrovorum Reaction Inactivation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beuscher, N., Mayer, F., Gottschalk, G.: Citrate lyase from Rhodopseudomonas gelatinosa: Purification, electron microscopy and subunit structure. Arch. Microbiol. 100, 306–328 (1974)Google Scholar
- Buckel, W., Buschmeier, V., Eggerer, H.: Der Wirkungs-mechanismus der Citrat-Lyase aus Klebsiella aerogenes. Hoppe Seyler' Z. physiol. Chem. 352, 1195–1205 (1971)Google Scholar
- Dagley, S.: Citrate-Lyase. In: Methods in enzymology, J. M. Lowenstein, ed., Vol. XIII, pp. 160–179. New York-London: Academic Press 1969Google Scholar
- Giffhorn, F., Beuscher, N., Gottschalk, G.: Regulation o citrate lyase activity in Rhodopseudomonas gelatinosa. Biochem. biophys. Res. Commun. 49, 467–471 (1972)Google Scholar
- Gottschalk, G., Giffhorn, F., Beuscher, N.: Enzyme-catalyzed modification of citrate lyase during growth of Rhodopseudomonas gelatinosa on citrate. Bact. Proc. 1974, 21Google Scholar
- Hartree, E.F.: Determination of protein: A modification of the Lowry method that gives a linear photometric response. Analyt. Biochem. 48, 422–427 (1972)Google Scholar
- Harvey, R.J., Collins, E.B.: Role of citritase in acetoin formation by Streptococcus diacetilactis and Leuconostoc citrovorum. J. Bact. 82, 954–959 (1961)Google Scholar
- Harvey, R.J., Collins, E.B.: The citritase of Streptococcus diacetilactis. J. biol. Chem. 238, 2648–2653 (1963)Google Scholar
- Kleinkauf, H., Gevers, W., Lipmann, F.: Interrelation between activation and polymerization in Gramicidin S biosynthesis. Proc. nat. Acad. Sci. (Wash.) 62, 226–233 (1969)Google Scholar
- Kümmel, A.: Anreicherung und Eigenschaften der Citrat-Lyase von Milchsäurebakterien. Diplomarbeit, Universität Göttingen (1973)Google Scholar
- Lee, S.G., Roskoski, R., Bauer, K., Lipmann, F.: Purification of the polyenzymes responsible for Tyrocidine synthesis and their dissociation into subunits. Biochemistry 12, 398–405 (1973)Google Scholar
- Moellering, H., Gruber, W.: Determination of citrate with citrate lyase. Analyt. Biochem. 17, 369–378 (1966)Google Scholar
- Schaab, Ch., Giffhorn, F., Schoberth, S., Pfennig, N., Gottschalk, G.: Phototrophic growth of Rhodopseudomonas gelatinosa on citrate; accumulation and subsequent utilization of cleavage products. Z. Naturforsch. 27b, 962–967 (1972)Google Scholar
- Schmellenkamp, H., Eggerer, H.: Mechanism of enzymatic acetylation of des-acetyl citrate lyase. Proc. nat. Acad. Sci. (Wash.) 71, 1987–1991 (1974)Google Scholar
- Singh, H., Srere, P.A.: The reaction inactivation of citrate lyase from Aerobacter aerogenes. J. biol. Chem. 246, 3847–3850 (1971)Google Scholar
- Weitman, P.D.J., Jones, D.: Regulation of citrate synthase and microbial taxonomy. Nature (Lond.) 219, 270–272 (1968)Google Scholar