Differential effects of morphine on two-way avoidance in selectively bred rat strains
Effects of morphine administration were investigated on avoidance behavior in five rat strains. Strain-dependent facilitation or suppression of avoidance acquisition was found in animals tested 1 h after the last administration of morphine. Significant strain differences were found in the incidences of sexual stimulation, diarrhea and wetness, reactivity, and death due to toxicity.
Key wordsStrain differences Morphine Avoiddance behavior Foot-shock sensitivity Morphine withdrawal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akera, T., Brody, T. M.: The addiction cycle to narcotics in the rat and its relation to catecholamines. Biochem. Pharmacol. 17, 675–688 (1968)Google Scholar
- Bignami, G.: Selection for high rates and low rates of avoidance conditioning in the rat. Anim. Behav. 13, 221–227 (1965)Google Scholar
- Broadhurst, P. L.: Experiments in psychogenetics: Application of biometrical genetics to behavior. In: Experiments in personality, vol. 1, Psychogenetics and psychopharmacology, H. J. Eysenck, ed. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul 1960Google Scholar
- Broadhurst, P. L., Gignami, G.: Correlative effects of psychogenetic selection: A study of the Roman high- and low-avoidance strains of rats. Behav. Res. Ther. 2, 273–280 (1965)Google Scholar
- Cicero, T. J., Meyer, E. R.: Morphine pellet implantation in rats: Quantitative assessment of tolerance and dependence. J. Pharmacol. exp. Ther. 184, 404–408 (1973)Google Scholar
- Davis, W. M., Holbrok, J. M., Babbini, M.: Differential effects of morphine on active avoidance as a function of pre-drug performance. Pharmacol. Res. Commun. 5, 47–53 (1973)Google Scholar
- Jay, G. E.: Genetic strains and stocks. In: Methodology in mammalian genetics, W. J. Burdette, ed. San Francisco: Holden-Day 1963Google Scholar
- Krueger, H., Eddy, N. B., Sumwalt, M.: The pharmacology of opium alkoloids. Publ. Hlth. Dep. (Suppl. 165), Part I and II (1941)Google Scholar
- Martin, W. R., Wilker, A., Eades, C. G., Pescor, F. T.: Tolerance to and physical dependence on morphine in rats. Psychopharmacologia (Berl.) 4, 247–260 (1963)Google Scholar
- Satinder, K. P.: Genotype-dependent effects of d-amphetamine sulphate and caffeine on escape-avoidance behavior of rats. J. comp. physiol. Psychol. 76, 359–364 (1971)Google Scholar
- Satinder, K. P.: Behavior-genetic-dependent self-selection of alcohol in rats. J. comp. physiol. Psychol. 80, 422–434 (1972)Google Scholar
- Satinder, K. P.: Sensory responsiveness and avoidance learning in rats. J. comp. physiol. Psychol. (in press)Google Scholar