Intestinal metaplasia and adenocarcinoma induced in the stomach of rats by N-propyl-N′-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine
- 32 Downloads
PNNG, the propyl derivative of MNNG, was administered to Wistar rats at a concentration of 59.5 μg/ml in the drinking water for 4, 8, and 12 months and the rats were killed in the 15th month. Intestinal metaplasia was induced in the glandular stomachs of 25%, 75%, and 83% of the rats treated with PNNG for 4, 8, and 12 months, respectively. Metaplastic glands were found in the pyloric region, especially near the pyloric ring. These glands contained goblet cells and columnar cells with striated borders. No tumors were found in the stomach of rats after 4-months treatment, but adenomas were found after 8-months treatment, and both adenomas and adenocarcinomas after 12-months treatment.
Key wordsIntestinal metaplasia Gastric carcinoma N-Propyl-N′-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine Wistar rats
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Correa, P., Cuello, C., Duque, E.: Carcinoma and intestinal metaplasia of the stomach in Colombian migrants. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 44, 297–306 (1970)Google Scholar
- Correa, P., Cuello, C., Duque, E., Burbano, L.C., Garcie, F.T., Bolanos, O., Brown, C., Haenszel, W.: Gastric cancer in Colombia. III. Natural history of precursor lesions. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 57, 1027–1035 (1976)Google Scholar
- Correa, P., Sasano, N., Stemmermann, G.N., Haenszel, W.: Pathology of gastric carcinoma in Japanese populations: Comparisons between Miyagi prefecture, Japan, and Hawaii. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 51, 1449–1459 (1973)Google Scholar
- Kawachi, T., Kogure, K., Tanaka, N., Tokunaga, A., Sugimura, T., Koyama, Y., Kanasugi, K., Hirota, T., Sano, R.: Studies of intestinal metaplasia in the gastric mucosa by detection of disaccharidases with ‘Tes-Tape’. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 53, 19–30 (1974)Google Scholar
- Kawachi, T., Kurisu, M., Numanyu, N., Sasajima, K., Sano, T., Sugimura, T.: Precancerous changes in the stomach. Cancer Res. 36, 2673–2677 (1976)Google Scholar
- Matsukura, N., Kawachi, T., Sasajima, K., Sano, T., Sugimura, T., Hirota, T.: Induction of intestinal metaplasia in the stomachs of rats by N-methyl-N′-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 61, 141–144 (1978)Google Scholar
- Morson, B.C.: Carcinoma arising from areas of intestinal metaplasia in the gastric mucosa. Br. J. Cancer 9, 377–385 (1955)Google Scholar
- Sano, T., Kawachi, T., Matsukura, N., Nakadate, M., Sugimura, T., Moriyama, M.: Comparison of carcinogenicity of N-alkyl-N′-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine. Gann 69, 277–279 (1978)Google Scholar
- Sugimura, T., Fujimura, S., Baba, T.: Tumor production in the glandular stomach and alimentary tract of the rat by N-methyl-N′-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine. Cancer Res. 30, 455–465 (1970)Google Scholar
- Watanabe, H.: Experimentally induced intestinal metaplasia in Wistar rats by X-ray irradiation. Gastroenterol 75, 796–799 (1978)Google Scholar