Isolation of monovalent sexual binding components from Chlamydomonas eugametos flagellar membranes
- 23 Downloads
Several treatments were tested to extract the sexual binding site from membrane vesicles derived from the flagellar surface of Chlamydomonas eugametos. Extraction with detergents, chaotropic and hydrogen bond-disrupting agents, as well as sonication, was effective in reducing the isoagglutination activity of these membrane vesicles. Complementary with this reduction, a sex-specific biological activity related to isoagglutination, called “twitch activity” appeared in the extract. This was only observed with vesicles derived from minus mating type (mt-) gametes. After fractionation of the extract, one high-molecular weight glycoprotein fraction appeared to be responsible for this activity. When extracts were treated with cross-linking agents, a pelletable fraction was obtained with isoagglutinative activity. We conclude that the mt- factor, responsible for twitch activity, causes isoagglutination when it is rendered multivalent.
Key wordsChlamydomonas Sex Isoagglutination Membrane vesicles Glycoproteins Cell interaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clamp, J. R.: A gas-liquid chromatographic approach to the analysis of carbohydrates. Biochem. Soc. Transactions 15, 1693–1695 (1977)Google Scholar
- Förster, H., Wiese, L., Braunitzer, G.: Über das agglutinierend wirkende Gynogamon von Chlamydomonas eugametos. Z. Naturforsch. 11b, 315–317 (1956)Google Scholar
- Lens, P. F., Briel, W. van den, Musgrave, A., van den Ende, H.: Sex-specific glycoproteins in Chlamydomonas flagella. An immunological study. Arch. Microbiol. 126, 77–81 (1980)Google Scholar
- Mesland, D. A. M.: Mating in Chlamydomonas eugametos. A scanning electron microscopical study. Arch. Microbiol. 109, 31–35 (1976)Google Scholar
- Mesland, D. A. M.: Flagellar surface morphology of Chlamydomonas eugametos. Protoplasma 93, 311–323 (1977)Google Scholar
- Musgrave, A., Homan, W. L., van den Briel, M. L., Lelie, N., Schol, D., Ero, L., van den Ende, H.: Membrane glycoprotein of Chlamydomonas eugametos flagella. Planta 145, 417–425 (1979)Google Scholar
- Umbreit, W. W., Burris, R. H., Stauffer, J. F.: Manometric techniques, 210. Minneapolis: Burgess 1964Google Scholar
- Wiese, L.: Nature of sex specific glycoprotein agglutinins in Chlamydomonas. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 234, 383–395 (1974)Google Scholar