Properties of fibre reinforced concrete using recycled fibres from carpet industrial waste
- 398 Downloads
A study was carried out to evaluate the use of recycled fibres from carpet industrial waste for reinforcement of concrete at 1 and 2 vol% fractions. Compressive, flexural, splitting tensile and shrinkage tests were performed. Significant increases in shatter resistance, energy absorption and ductility were observed. This paper reports on the experimental programme and compares the effectiveness of such recycled fibres with that of virgin polypropylene fibres specially made for fibre reinforced concrete (FRC). The paper also discusses the benefits of using such FRC for construction applications and possible ways to further enhance the performance of such FRC.
KeywordsPolymer Shrinkage Ductility Polypropylene Energy Absorption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ACI Committee 544, “State-of-the-art report on fiber reinforced concrete”, 544.IR-82 (reapproved 1986) (American Concrete Institute, Detroit 1986).Google Scholar
- 2.J. G. Keer, in “New reinforced concretes: concrete technology and design”, Vol. 2, edited by R. N. Swamy, (Surrey University Press, Blackie, London, 1984) pp. 52–105.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Bentur and S. Mindess, “Fiber reinforced cementitious composites” (Elsevier, London, 1990).Google Scholar
- 4.ACI Committee 544, “Design considerations for steel fiber reinforced concrete”. ACI 544.4R, ACI Struct. J. September–October (1988) 563.Google Scholar
- 5.ACI Committee 318, “Building Code Requirements for Reinforced Concrete”, ACI 318 (American Concrete Institute, Detroit, 1983) p. 34.Google Scholar
- 7.R. F. ZOLLO, J. A. ILTER and G. B. BOUCHACOURT, “The effect of collated fibrillated polypropylene fibres on plastic and drying shrinkage in concrete”, A research report distributed by the Forta Corporation, Grove City, PA, 1984.Google Scholar
- 9.R. N. Swamy and H. Stavrides, ACI J. 76 (1979) 443.Google Scholar
- 10.K. Komlos and L. Brull, in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Fiber Reinforced Concrete, December 1987, Madras India (Oxford & IBH Publishing, New Delhi, 1987) pp. 4.41.Google Scholar
- 11.J. C. Chern and C. H. Young, ACI Mater. J. 87 (1990) 123.Google Scholar