Marihuana and retrieval from short-term memory
- 55 Downloads
Twelve subjects received an oral dose of marihuana extract calibrated to 20 mg of δ1-tetrahydrocannibinol on Day 1 of the experiment and performed a short-term memory task before and after administration of the drug. The subjects were then split into two groups, receiving either marihuana or placebo on the evenings of Days 1 to 4 and between two memory test sessions on Day 5. Placebo subjects showed little change in performance between the two test sessions on Day 5; however, results from Day 1 for all subjects and Day 5 for the drug group showed that reaction time increased from before- to after-challenge sessions. This increase in time under marihuana was explained as a change in encoding and/or response processes, rather than processes involved in the search of the memory store.
Key wordsMarihuana Memory Search Retrieval from Memory Encoding Processes Response Speed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atkinson, R. C., Shiffrin, R. M.: Human memory: A proposed system and its control processes. The psychology of learning and motivation: Advances in research and theory, vol. 2. K. W. Spence and J. T. Spence, eds. New York: Academic Press 1968.Google Scholar
- Atkinson, R. C., Shiffrin, R. N.: The control of short-term memory. Sci. Amer. 224, 82–90 (1971).Google Scholar
- Clark, T. D., Hughes, R., Nakashima, E. N.: Behavorial effects of marihuana: Experimental studies. Arch. gen. Psychiat. 23, 193 (1970).Google Scholar
- Hollister, T. E., Gillespie, H. K.: Marihuana, ethanol, and dextroamphetamine, mood and mental function alterations. Arch. gen. Psychiat. 23, 199–203 (1970).Google Scholar
- Juola, J. F., Atkinson, R. C.: Memory scanning for words versus categories. J. Verb. Learn. Verb. Behav. 10, 522–527 (1971).Google Scholar
- Murdock, B. B., Walker, J.: Modality effects in free recall. J. Verb. Learn. Verb. Behav. 8, 665–676 (1969).Google Scholar
- Sternberg, S.: High-speed scanning in human memory. Science 153, 652–654 (1966).Google Scholar
- Sternberg, S.: Memory scanning: Mental processes revealed by reaction time experiments. Amer. Sci. 57, 421–457 (1969).Google Scholar