Ammonia assimilation in blue-green algae
- 123 Downloads
The occurrence of alanine dehydrogenase (AlaDH), glutamate dehydrogenase (GDH), and 2-ketoglutarate: glutamine amidotransferase (GGAT), has been surveyed in a number of blue-green algae. Among nine unicellular strains grown with nitrate, and belonging to five of the major typological groups, AlaDH was present in seven, and GDH in all eight that were assayed. In ten filamentous strains grown with nitrate, and belonging to the three nonheterocyst-forming and four heterocyst-forming groups, AlaDH was present in six, but both AlaDH and GDH were present in only one strain. In those strains which could be grown with N2 as sole nitrogen source, levels of GDH were generally lower, and AlaDH higher in cells fixing N2 than in those growing with nitrate. GGAT was undetectable in N2-grown cells. Two unicellular and three filamentous strains were tested for their ability to use L-alanine, L-glutamate, L-glutamine, and L-asparagine as sole sources of nitrogen. Of these, L-asparagine was utilized most effectively. There was little difference in levels of GDH in cells grown with nitrate or with L-asparagine, while the levels of AlaDH were slightly lower in cells grown with L-asparagine.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burk, R., Pateman, J.: Glutamic and alanine dehydrogenase determined by one gene in Neurospora crassa. Nature (Lond.) 196, 450–451 (1962).Google Scholar
- Jacobson, L.: Maintenance of an iron supply in nutrient solutions by a single addition of ferric potassium ethylenediamine tetraacetate. Plant Physiol. 26, 411–413 (1951).Google Scholar
- Kratz, W. A., Myers, J.: Nutrition and growth of several blue-green algae. Amer. J. Bot. 42, 282–287 (1955).Google Scholar
- Kretovitch, W. L., Evstigneeva, Z. G., Tamova, N. G.: Effect of nitrogen source on glutamate dehydrogenase and alanine dehydrogenase in Chlorella. Canad. J. Bot. 48, 1179–1183 (1970).Google Scholar
- Malofeeva, I. V.: Amino acid formation by Chloropseudomonas ethylica. Doklady Akad. Nauk SSR 182, 960–962 (1968).Google Scholar
- Syrett, P. J.: Nitrogen assimilation. In: Physiology and biochemistry of algae, ed. R. A. Lewin, p. 173. New York: Academic Press 1962.Google Scholar
- Wyatt, J. T., Lawley, G. G., Barnes, R. D.: Blue-green algal responses to some organic-nitrogen substrates. Naturwissenschaften 58, 570–571 (1971).Google Scholar