Effects of amorphous silica coatings on the sintering behaviours of SiC whisker-reinforced Al2O3 composites
- 86 Downloads
In this study, pressureless sintering of silicon carbide whisker (SiCw)-reinforced alumina composites was investigated. SiC whiskers or Al2O3 powders were coated with amorphous silica, and sintering behaviour was analysed according to the powder characteristics of the composite. It was found that amorphous silica coatings improved densification as compared with uncoated powders, because the viscous flow allows the release of any tensile stress due to differential shrinkage between the matrix and the silicon carbide whiskers. Mullite occurred when amorphous silica coatings reacted with alumina at ∼1500 °C, which resisted the viscous sintering of the amorphous silica coatings.
KeywordsCarbide Al2O3 Shrinkage Tensile Stress Material Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. F. Beacher and G. C. Wei, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 63 (1984) C267.Google Scholar
- 2.G. C. Wei and P. F. Beacher, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 64 (1985) 298.Google Scholar
- 6.P. D. Shalek, J. J. Petrovic, G. F. Hurely and F. D. Gac, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 65 (1986) 354.Google Scholar
- 7.K. Gadkaree and K. Chyung, ibid. 65 (1986) 370.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Lundberg, L. Kahlman, R. Pome and R. Carsson, ibid. 66 (1987) 330.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Homeny, W. L. Vaughn and M. K. Ferber, ibid. 66 (1987) 333.Google Scholar
- 10.T. N. Tiegs and P. F. Becher, ibid. 66 (1987) 339.Google Scholar
- 11.J. R. Porter, F. F. Lange and A. H. Chokshi, ibid. 66 (1987) 343.Google Scholar
- 12.S. T. Buljan, J. G. Baldoni and M. L. Huckabee, ibid. 66 (1987) 347.Google Scholar
- 17.M. D. Sacks, H. W. Lee and O. E. Rojas, in “Ceramic Powder Science” IIA (Ceramic Transactions Vol. 1)edited by G. L. Messing, E. R. Fullerand and H. Hausner (American Ceramic Society, Westerville, Ohio, 1988) p. 440.Google Scholar
- 29.G. W. Scherer, ibid. 71 (1988) C315.Google Scholar