A computer simulation was used to investigate the relative effects of changes in net fecundity and development time on population growth rate (r). Increases in net fecundity had the largest effect on r when net fecundity is small. Conversely, decreases in developmental time had the largest effect on r when net fecundity was large. The intersection point where similar changes in developmental time, and net fecundity had equivalent effects on r was also investigated in four organisms with very different life histories. Cases were considered where changes in net fecundity and developmental time are correlated and different results were obtained.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Birch, L.C., Dobzhansky, Th., Elliot, P., Lewontin, R.C.: Relative fitnesses of geographic races of Drosophila serrata. Evolution 17, 72–83 (1963)Google Scholar
- Cole, L.C.: The population consequences of life-history phenomena. Q. Rev. Biol. 29, 103–137 (1954)Google Scholar
- Green, R., Painter, P.R.: Selection for fertility and developmental time. Am. Nat. 109, 1–10 (1975)Google Scholar
- Keyfitz, N., Flieger, W.: Population. Facts and methods of demography, 613 pp. San Francisco: Freeman 1971Google Scholar
- Lewontin, R.C.: Selection for colonizing ability, pp. 77–91. In: The genetics of colonizing species (H.G. Baker, G.L. Stebbins, eds.). New York: Academic Press 1965Google Scholar
- MacArthur, R.H., Wilson, E.O.: The theory of island biogeography, 203 pp. Princeton: Princeton University Press 1967Google Scholar
- Meats, A.: The relative importance to population increase of fluctuations in mortality, fecundity and time variables of the reproductive schedule. Oecologia (Berl.) 6, 223–237 (1971)Google Scholar
- Mertz, D.B.: Age distribution and abundance in populations of flour beetles. I. Experimental studies. Ecol. Monogr. 39, 1–31 (1969)Google Scholar
- Snell, T.W.: Competition and population structure in rotifers. In preparationGoogle Scholar
- Snell, T.W., King, C.E.: Lifespan and fecundity patterns in rotifers: The cost of reproduction. Evolution (in press, 1977)Google Scholar
- Stearns, S.C.: Life-history tactics: A review of the ideas. Q. Rev. Biol. 51, 3–47 (1976)Google Scholar