A galvanic gas sensor using poly (ethylene oxide) complex of silver trifluoromethane sulphonate electrolyte
- 75 Downloads
A galvanic sensor for monitoring nitrogen dioxide was developed by using a poly(ethylene oxide) complex of silver trifluoromethanesulphonate electrolyte. The sensor, which is expressed as Au/P(EO)4.5 AgCF3SO3/Ag, is a small disk (i.d. 13 mm). The polymeric electrolyte film was made by casting the mixture of acetonitrile solutions of both P(EO) (MW 6×105) and AgCF3SO3. The working electrode was made by sputtering of gold in argon. The thicknesses of the desposited gold, polymeric electrolyte film and silver are 25 nm, 30 μm and 1 mm, respectively. When the sample gas containing nitrogen dioxide impinges at 20 ml min−1 on the gold cathode, the current flowing in the external circuit was linearly related to the concentration of nitrogen dioxide from 20 ppb to about 10 ppm. The current efficiency of the cell was 0.051%. The cell's response time was about 2 min for 0.5 ppm of nitrogen dioxide.
KeywordsGold Dioxide Argon Acetonitrile Response Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Janata J, Huber RJ (1985) Solid state chemical sensors. Academic PressGoogle Scholar
- 2.Schuetzle D, Hammerle R (1986) Fundamentals and applications of chemical sensors. Am Chem SocGoogle Scholar
- 3.Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Solidstate Sensors and Actuators (1987) Institute of Electrical Engineers of JapanGoogle Scholar
- 4.Janata J (1989) Principles of chemical sensors. PlenumGoogle Scholar
- 5.Suzuki S, Nagashima K (1982) Anal Chim Acta 144:261Google Scholar
- 6.Nagashima K, Meguro K, Suzuki S, Hobo T (1988) Bunseki Kagaku 37:400Google Scholar
- 7.Fenton BE, Parker JM, Wright PV (1973) Polymer 14:589Google Scholar
- 8.Armand M, Chabagno J, Duclot M (1979) Fast ion transport in solids. North-Holland, New York, p 131Google Scholar
- 9.Rietman EA, Kaplan ML, Cava RJ (1987) Solid State Ion 25:41Google Scholar
- 10.Blonsky PM, Shriver DF (1984) J Am Chem Soc 106:6854Google Scholar