Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas: A preoperatively diagnosed case based on an aspiration biopsy
- 34 Downloads
This paper reports an extremely rare case of lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas. The patient, a 58-year-old man with no subjective symptoms, was found to have a pancreatic tumor during a physical examination. He visited our clinic and was admitted for a follow-up examination. Based on the ultrasonographic findings, superselective angiography, and aspiration biopsy, an epidermoid cyst was diagnosed. Enucleation was easily performed. Macroscopically, this cyst resembled an atheroma. Histologically, the cavity of the cyst was lined with a squamous epithelium with a nucleated layer and below that, lymphatic tissue. No malignancy was found. Tumors of the pancreas with a squamous epithelial covering are extremely rare; only a few such cases have been reported in the literature. As of 1991, only 12 cases, including the present case, had been reported. With the advances in diagnostic techniques, the detection of pancreatic tumors is expected to improve. This paper reports a case in which the use of an aspiration biopsy and superselective angiography proved to be useful in making an accurate diagnosis.
Key Wordslymphoepithelial cyst pancreatic cyst aspiration biopsy superselective angiography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Howard JM, Jordan GL (1960) Surgical diseases of the pancreas. Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp 283–320Google Scholar
- 2.Morohoshi T, Hamamoto T, Kunimura T, Yoshida E, Kanda M, Funo K, Nagayama T, Maeda M, Araki S (1991) Epidermoid cyst derived from an accessory spleen in the pancreas. Acta Pathol Jpn 41:916–921Google Scholar
- 3.Luchtrath H, Schriefers KH (1985) Pankreaszysteunter dem Bildeiner sogenannten brachiogenen Zyste. Pathologie 6:217–219Google Scholar
- 4.Truong LD, Rangdaeng S, Jordan PH (1987) Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas. Am J Surg Pathol 11:899–903Google Scholar
- 5.Mockli GC, Stein RM (1990) Cystic lymphoepithelial lesion of the pancreas. Arch Pathol Lab Med 114:885–887Google Scholar
- 6.Hisaoka M, Haratake J, Horie A, Yasunami Y, Kimura T (1991) Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas in a 65-year old man. Hum Pathol 80:924–926Google Scholar
- 7.Ramsden KL, Newman J (1991) Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas. Histopathology 18:267–268Google Scholar
- 8.Yamamoto K, Fujimoto K, Matsushiro T, Ota K (1990) Lymphoepithelial cyst in the pancreas. Gastroenterol Jpn 25:758–761Google Scholar
- 9.Davidson ED, Campbell WG, Hersh T (1980) Epidermoid splenic cyst occuring in an intrapancreatic accessory spleen. Dig Dis Sci 25:964–967Google Scholar
- 10.Yamada K, Murao S, Yoshida D, Nakajima T, Yoshii M, Kimura M, Yoshioka H (1981) A case of accessory splenic epidermoid cyst (in Japanese). Nippon Naika Gakkai Zasshi (J Jpn Soc Intern Med) 70:1007–1011Google Scholar
- 11.Jibu T, Nagai H, Senba D, Wada Y, Kuroda A, Morioka Y, Kikuchi F (1987) A case of epidermoid cyst occuring in an intrapancreatic accessory spleen (in Japanese). Nippon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi (Jpn J Gastroenterol) 84:1859–1862Google Scholar