Sex Roles

, Volume 12, Issue 1–2, pp 195–206

A longitudinal comparison of couples with sex-typical and non-sex-typical orientations to intimacy

  • Timothy D. Stephen
  • Teresa M. Harrison
Article

DOI: 10.1007/BF00288047

Cite this article as:
Stephen, T.D. & Harrison, T.M. Sex Roles (1985) 12: 195. doi:10.1007/BF00288047

Abstract

The present study was designed to investigate the relationship experience of males and females who do not conform to sex-typical orientations to intimacy. One hundred sixty-three couples' and 88 nondating singles' (total N=414) responses to the Relationship World Index—Version 2 (RWI-2) were analyzed via discriminant analysis to determine if subjects' sex could be predicted accurately upon the basis of their RWI-2 scores. One discriminant function was found which was significant by the Wilks' lambda test [x2(60)=140.57, p<.001]; the procedure correctly classified 76% of the respondents. Those who were classified correctly were considered sex-typical and the remaining 24% of the sample was considered non-sex-typical in their orientations to intimacy. Additional analyses using data from a 6-month longitudinal study located qualities which significantly distinguished sex-typical from non-sex-typical subjects and couples in which at least one member was non-sex-typical from couples in which both members were classified as sex-typical.

Copyright information

© Plenum Publishing Corporation 1985

Authors and Affiliations

  • Timothy D. Stephen
    • 1
  • Teresa M. Harrison
    • 2
  1. 1.Department of Speech CommunicationWest Virginia UniversityMorgantown
  2. 2.Rensselaer Polytechnic InstituteUSA

Personalised recommendations