Outdoor mass culture of Spirulina maxima in sea-water
- 269 Downloads
The results of a whole year experiment on the outdoor mass culture of Spirulina maxima strain 4Mx on fertilized sea-water are reported. Carbonate and phosphate precipitation in the sea-water media was prevented by maintaining a low concentration of phosphate and by controlling the pH in the range of 8.0–8.3. The mean annual yield of biomass on sea-water plus urea as nitrogen source was 7.35 g (dry weight) m-2· day-1, a value slightly lower than that obtained on the standard bicarbonate medium (8.14 g · m-2 · day-1). On sea-water plus nitrate the yield was only 5.2 g·m-2·day-1. The nitrogen content of the biomass was higher in summer and lower in winter. The seasonal effect was more evident when nitrate was the nitrogen source.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- APHA-AWWA-WPCF Standard Methods for the examination of water and wastewater. 15th Edition 1980Google Scholar
- Bocci F, Torzillo G, Materassi R, Florenzano G (1985) A new culture apparatus “Algatron”: I — Effect of nitrogen source on the growth physiology of Spirulina platensis in natural light-dark cycle. Biotechnol Bioeng (in press)Google Scholar
- Koroleff F (1976) Determination of nutrients. In: Grasshoff K (ed) Methods of seawater analysis. Verlag Chemie, Weinheim New York, pp 117–181Google Scholar
- Materassi R, Tredici M, Balloni W (1984) Spirulina culture in sea-water. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 19: 384–386Google Scholar
- Mur LR (1983) Some aspects of the ecophysiology of cyanobacteria. Ann Microbiol (Inst Pasteur) 134B: 61–72Google Scholar
- Murphy J, Riley JP (1958) A single solution method for the determination of soluble phosphate in sea-water. J Mar Boiol Assoc UK 37: 9–14Google Scholar
- Murphy J, Riley JP (1962) A modified single solution method for the determination of phosphate in natural waters. Anal Chim Acta 27: 31–36Google Scholar
- Paoletti C, Pushparaj B, Tomaselli-Feroci L (1975) Ricerche sulla nutrizione minerale di Spirulina plantesis. Atti XVII Congr Naz Microbiol 2: 833–839Google Scholar
- Pirt SJ (1981) Extension of the limits of photosynthesis by novel solar reactors. Riv Biol 74: 27–47Google Scholar
- Soeder CJ (1978) Economic considerations concerning the autotrophic production of microalgae at the technical scale. Arch Hydrobiol Beih Ergeb Limnol 11: 259–273Google Scholar
- Tredici MR, Milicia F, Papuzzo T, Tomasello V, Balloni W (1984) Prime esperienze di coltura massiva all'aperto di Spirulina maxima nell'Italia meridionale (Lamezia Terme). Agric Ital 5/6: 157–168Google Scholar