Reconstruction of aorta and atrium by intercostal muscle flap
- 13 Downloads
Intercostal muscle flaps were used with rabbits to reconstruct full thickness defects of thoracic aorta and the auricle of the atrium of the heart. Repair was achieved by the muscle flap, which provided good structural support with formation of elastic tissue and cartilage. The pleural surface of the muscle was completely endothelialized by the adjacent intima. The significance of the elastic fibers appearing in this patch is discussed.
Key wordsAorta Auricle of the heart Intercostal muscle flap Defects
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderl H, Hussl H, Papp Ch, Bauer M (1982) Aktuelle Verfahren zur Defektdeckung an den Extremitäten. Chirurg: 53:235–240Google Scholar
- 2.Blair E, Major MC (1958) Study of the viable intercostal pedicle graft in tracheobronchial surgery. J Thorac Surg 36:869–878Google Scholar
- 3.Childress ME (1972) Tracheogenic carcinoma-successful management by excision and intercostal-periostal pedicle graft. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 64:Google Scholar
- 4.Daniel RK, Kerrigan CL, Grad DA (1978) The great potential of intercostal flap for torso-reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 61:653–665Google Scholar
- 5.Kummer B (1981) Kausale Histogenese der Gewebe des Bewegungsapparates und funktionelle Anpassung. Orthopädie in Praxis und Klinik. 2. Aufl, Bd I, Allgemeine Orthopädie. Thieme, Stuttgart New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Penton RS, Brantigan OC (1951) A viable pedicle graft for repairing intrathoracic structures. A preliminary report on tracheal defects. Bulletin of the School of Medicine, University of Maryland, p 152Google Scholar
- 7.Papp Ch, Parker P, Boeheim C, McCraw JB (1985) Experimental use of intercostal muscle flaps for repair of induced cardiac defects. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg (In print)Google Scholar
- 8.Papp CH, McCraw JB, Arnold PG (1985) Experimental reconstruction of the trachea with autogenous materials. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg (In print)Google Scholar
- 9.Papp Ch, Bernard W (1985) Reconstruction of a defect fracture of the upper-arm using the osteomyocutaneous flap. Chir Plastica 8:77–82Google Scholar
- 10.Wilflingseder P (1971) Tracheal stenosis reconstruction by means of a nasal septum graft. Fifth Int Congr Plast Reconstr Surg p 1219–1222, ButterworthGoogle Scholar