Prognosis of cutaneous angiosarcoma in Japan: A statistical study of sixty-nine cases
- 21 Downloads
The prognosis of 69 cases of cutaneous angiosarcoma reported in Japan during 1967–1982 was studied statistically. These cases were followed for a minimum of five years. They included 43 males and 26 females. The mean age was 66.8 years. The lesions were confined to the scalp-face region in 60 cases. There was a history of antecendent trauma at the tumor sites in 14 patients and of irradiation in 2 patients. The sites of metastases in order of frequency were the lung, liver and regional lymph nodes. Sixty-four patients died as a result of their tumor. Mean survival was 13.4 months. Five-year survival rate was 6.1%. Only two patients had long-term, disease-free survival. Duration between the onset and the initial visit, and survival period were not correlative. Tumor size was shown to be an important prognostic factor in the scalpface cases. No type of treatment has been particularly effective.
Key wordsCutaneous angiosarcoma Prognosis Statistical study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bardwil JM, Mocega EE, Butler JJ, Russin DJ (1968) Angiosarcoma of the head and neck region. Am J Surg 116:548–553Google Scholar
- 2.Bennet RG, Keller JW, Ditty JF Jr (1978) Hemangiosarcoma subsequent to radiotherapy for a hemangioma in infancy. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 4:881–883Google Scholar
- 3.Girard C, Johnson WC, Graham JH (1970) Cutaneous angiosarcoma. Cancer 26:868–883Google Scholar
- 4.Hodgkinson DJ, Soule EH, Woods JE (1979) Cutaneous angiosarcoma of the head and neck. Cancer 44:1106–1113Google Scholar
- 5.McCarthy WD, Pack GT (1950) Malignant blood vessel tumors. Surg Gynecol Obstet 91:465–482Google Scholar
- 7.Paik HH, Komorowski R (1978) Hemangiosarcoma of the abdominal wall following irradiation therapy of endometrial carcinoma. Am J Clin Pathol 66:810–814Google Scholar
- 8.Rosai J, Sumner HW, Kostianovsky M, Perez-Mosa C (1976) Angiosarcoma of the skin, a clinicopathologic and fine structural study. Hum Pathol 7:83–109Google Scholar
- 9.Simon SI, Sika JV, Lynfield YL (1980) Angiosarcoma of the scalp. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 6:935–937Google Scholar
- 10.Stout AP (1943) Hemangio-endothelioma, a tumor of blood vessels featuring vascular endothelial cells. Ann Surg 118:445–464Google Scholar
- 11.Wilson Jones E (1976) Malignant vascular tumors. Clin Exp Dermatol 1:287–312Google Scholar