Ultrasound of the abdomen in endurance athletes
- 37 Downloads
This project evaluated, if athletes show adaption of their abdominal organs in response to endurance training. Abdominal sonography was performed in 26 sedentary male subjects [CO; age: 26 (SD 5) years; mass (BM): 78.7 (SD 10.6) kg; lean body mass [LBM): 67.1 (SD 7.4) kg; height (HE): 183 (SD 6) cm, individual anaerobic threshold (cycle ergometry; IAT): 2.1 (SD 0.1) W·kg−1], 14 moderately endurance trained athletes [EA1; age: 27 (SD 4) years; BM: 74.0 (SD 5.9) kg; LBM: 64.6 (SD 4.5) kg; HE: 178 (SD 5) cm, IAT: 3.0 (SD 0.5) W·kg−1] and 27 well endurance trained athletes [EA2; age: 27 (SD 4) years; BM: 72.1 (SD 4.3) kg; LBM: 65.4 (SD 3.2) kg; HE: 179 (SD 4) cm, IAT: 3.7 (SD 0.4) W·kg−1]. One subject of EA2 had cholecystolithiasis and another one renal redoublication, 3 persons showed uncomplicated parapelvine or subcapsular renal cysts (CO, EA1). The transverse area of the large abdominal arteries (abdominal aorta, common iliac arteries) was significantly greater in EA2 than in both EA1 and CO and partly greater in EA1 than in CO. Also, the ratios of sagittal and transverse diameters of the left and right lobes of the liver to LBM showed higher values for EA2 than for both EA1 and CO. These results indicate morphological adaptive processes of the great abdominal arteries in endurance athletes.
Key wordsLiver diameter aorta blood vessel diameter morphological adaption exercise endurance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blomquist CG, Saltin B (1983) Cardiovascular adaptions to physical training. Ann Physiol Rev 45:169–189Google Scholar
- Dickhuth KH, Urhausen A, Huonker M, Heitkamp H, Kindermann W, Simon G, Keul J (1990) The echocardiographic determination of heart volume in sports medicine. Dtsch Z Sportmed 41:4–12Google Scholar
- Gabriel H, Urhausen A, Kindermann W (1991) Circulating leucocyte and lymphocyte subpopulations before and after intensive endurance exercise to exhaustion. Eur J Appl Physiol 63:449–457Google Scholar
- Hudlická O (1982) Growth of capillaries in skeletal and cardiac muscle. Circul Res 50:451–461Google Scholar
- Huonker M, Mormann H, Dimeo F, Keul J (1993) Duplex sonographic assessment of the arterial vessels in high performance athletes of various sports disciplines and untrained control groups Int J Sports Med 15 (Suppl) 345Google Scholar
- Wijnen JAG, Kuipers H, Kool FJM, Hoeks APG, van Bortel MAB (1991) Vessel wall properties of large arteries in trained and sedentary subjects. Basic Res Cardiol 86 (Suppl 1):25–29Google Scholar