A simple image forming technique suitable for multifrequency observations of solar radio bursts
A simple image forming system using a multielement interferometer for obtaining rapid pictures of solar radio bursts is described. A dispersive transmission line is used to feed the elements in series through directional couplers. Truly instantaneous pictures of solar activity can be obtained by placing a number of narrow frequency filters at the end of the I. F. amplifier in the main receiver, located at one end of the array.
The two dimensional extension of this principle is examined in some detail. Multibeaming in the two arrays of a crossed grating interferometer can be combined with fast phase-scanning in one of the arrays to produce rapid pencil beam pictures. If log-periodic antennas are used, observations can even be made at widely different frequencies simultaneously. For illustration, some important parameters for simultaneous observations at 60, 90 and 120 MHz are estimated for an interferometer assumed to be located at a latitude of 30° N. The main advantage of the proposed system is that high-resolution rapid pictures of radio bursts can be obtained simultaneously at a number of frequencies with modest effort.
KeywordsSolar Activity Coupler Transmission Line Directional Coupler Radio Burst
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bracewell, R. N. and Swarup, G.: 1961, IRE Trans. PGAP AP-9, 22.Google Scholar
- Christiansen, W. N., Labrum, N. R., McAlister, K. R., and Mathewson, D. S.: 1961, Proc. IEE 108B, 48.Google Scholar
- Kapahi, V. K. and Isloor, J. D.: 1968, Proc. Symp. Antennas, Radio and Telecom. Res. Committee, C.S.I.R., New Delhi.Google Scholar
- Komesaroff, M. M. and Ponsonby, J. E. B.: 1967, Proc. Astron. Soc. Australia 1, 64.Google Scholar
- Labrum, N. R. and McAlister, K. R.: 1967, Proc. IREE Australia 28, 297.Google Scholar
- McLean, D. J. and Wild, J. P.: 1961, Australian J. Phys. 14, 489.Google Scholar
- Oliver, B. M.: 1954, Proc. IRE 42, 1686.Google Scholar
- Swarup, G. and Yang, K. S.: 1961, IRE Trans. PGAP. AP-9, 75.Google Scholar
- Swarup, G., Kapahi, V. K., Isloor, J. D., and Sinha, R. P.: 1966, Nature 212, 910.Google Scholar
- Takakura, T., Tsuchia, A., Morimoto, M., and Kai, K.: 1967, Proc. Astron. Soc. Australia 1, 56.Google Scholar
- Vinokur, M.: 1968, Ann. Astrophys. 31, 457.Google Scholar
- Wild, J. P.: 1967, Proc. IREE Australia 28, September.Google Scholar
- Wild, J. P.: 1968, Proc. Astron. Soc. Australia 1, 137.Google Scholar
- Wild, J. P., Sheridan, K. V., and Kai, K.: 1968, Nature 218, 536.Google Scholar