Mitochondrial DNA mutation in an Italian family with Leber hereditary optic neuropathy
- 39 Downloads
Mitochondrial (mt) DNA from a Southern Italian family with Leber hereditary optic neuropathy was analyzed for the presence of the reported mutation at position 11778 of the ND4 subunit gene. The point mutation was found in mt DNA extracted from peripheral blood in all members of the family with the exclusion of the father, and was present in a homoplasmic fashion, despite the phenotypic heterogeneity of disease presentation among family members.
KeywordsInternal Medicine Family Member Neuropathy Metabolic Disease Point Mutation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gurparkash S, Lott MT, Wallace DC (1988) A mitochondrial DNA mutation as a cause of Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy. Science 242:1427–1430Google Scholar
- Holt IJ, Miller DH, Harding AE (1989) Genetic heterogeneity and mitochondrial DNA heteroplasmy in Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy. J Med Genet 26:739–743Google Scholar
- Hotta Y, Hayakawa M, Saito K, Kanai A, Nakajima A, Fujiki K (1989) Diagnosis of Leber's optic neuropathy by means of a polymerase chain reaction amplification. Am J Ophthalmol 108:601–602Google Scholar
- Lott MT, Voljiavec AS, Wallace DC (1990) Variable genotype of Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy patients. Am J Ophthalmol 109:625–631Google Scholar
- Newman NJ, Wallace DC (1990) Mitochondria and Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy. Am J Ophthalmol 109:726–730Google Scholar
- Nikoskelainen E, Sogg RL, Rosenthal AR, Friberg TR, Dorfman LJ (1977) The early phase in Leber hereditary optic atrophy. Arch Ophthalmol 95:969–972Google Scholar
- Vilkki J, Savonatus ML, Nikoskelainen EK (1990) Segregation of mitochondrial genomes in a heteroplasmic lineage with Leber hereditary optic neuroretinopathy. Am J Hum Genet 47:95–100Google Scholar
- Wallace DC (1986) Mitotic segregation of mitochondrial DNAs in human cell hybrids and expression of chloramphenicol resistance. Somat Cell Mol Genet 12:41–49Google Scholar
- Wallace DC, Surti U, Adams CW, Szulman AE (1982) Complete moles have paternal chromosomes but maternal mitochondrial DNA. Hum Genet 61:145–147Google Scholar
- Wallace DC, Gurparkash S, Lott MT, Hodge JA, Schurr TG, Lezza AMS, Elsas LJ, Nikoskelainen EK (1988) Mitochondrial DNA mutation associated with Lebers hereditary optic neuropathy. Science 242:1427–1430Google Scholar
- Yoneda M, Tsuji S, Yamauchi T, Inuzuka T, Miyatake T (1990) Mitochondrial DNA mutation in family with Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy. Lancet I:1076–1077Google Scholar