Endoscopic sphincterotomy in the treatment of postoperative biliary fistulas of hepatic hydatid disease
- 29 Downloads
Background: Ten patients with postoperative external biliary fistula treated by endoscopic sphincterotomy are reported.
Methods: Nine of these patients were operated for hepatic hydatid disease and one for a liver abscess. Mean daily output of bile through the fistulae which were present for 5–39 days was approximately 500 cc.
Results: Treatment was successful in nine patients with closure of the fistulae in 2–15 days (mean, 7 days). No response was obtained in one patient who was reoperated, and an intrahepatic biliary duct was found to be completely eroded by the cyst wall.
Conclusions: Endoscopic sphincterotomy should be the first-line treatment for postoperative external biliary fistulae related to hepatic hydatid disease.
Key wordsHydatid cysts Liver Complications Endoscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alper A, Arioğul O, Emre A, Uras A, Okten A (1987) Choledochoduodenostomy for intrabiliary rupture of hydatid cysts of liver. Br J Surg 74: 243–245Google Scholar
- 2.Barros JL (1978) Hydatid disease of the liver. Am J Surg 135: 597–600Google Scholar
- 3.Isaac J, Tekant Y, Kum Ck, Ngoi SS, Goh P (1994) Endoscopic sphincterotomy in the treatment of cystic duct leak following laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Surg Laparosc Endosc 4: 125–127Google Scholar
- 4.Işcan M, Düren M (1991) Endoscopic sphincterotomy in the management of postoperative complications of hepatic hydatid disease. Endoscopy 23: 282–283Google Scholar
- 5.Kozarek RA, Traverso LW (1991) Endoscopic stent placement for cystic duct leak after laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Gastrointest Endosc 37: 71–73Google Scholar
- 6.Lambert ME, Betts CD, Hill J, Faragher EB, Martin DF, Tweedle DEF (1991) Endoscopic sphincterotomy: the whole truth. Br J Surg 78: 473–476Google Scholar
- 7.Menteş A (1994) Hydatid liver disease: a perspective in treatment. Dig Dis 12: 150–160Google Scholar
- 8.Sauerbruch T, Weinzier M, Holl J, Pratschke E (1986) Treatment of postoperative bile fistulas by internal endoscopic biliary drainage. Gastroenterology 90: 1998–2003Google Scholar
- 9.Sayek I, Yahn R, Sanaç Y (1980) Surgical treatment of hydatid disease of the liver. Arch Surg 115: 847–850Google Scholar
- 10.Silvis SE (1991) Endoscopic sphincterotomy with an intact gallbladder. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 1: 65–77Google Scholar
- 11.Slivka A, Carr-Locke DL (1992) Therapeutic biliary endoscopy. Endoscopy 24: 100–119Google Scholar
- 12.Tanaka M, Ikeda S, Yoshimoto H (1987) The long-term fate of the gallbladder after endoscopic sphincterotomy: complete follow-up study of 122 patients. Am J Surg 154: 505Google Scholar
- 13.Venu RP, Geenen JE (1991) Overview of endoscopic sphincterotomy for common bile duct stone. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 1: 3–26Google Scholar
- 14.Vignote ML, Mino G, dela Mata M, Dios JF, Gomez F (1990) Endoscopic sphincterotomy in hepatic hydatid disease open to the biliary tree. Br J Surg 77: 30–31Google Scholar